10mm vs .45 ACP showdown - (first range trip w/ a couple new guns)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its been a week or so since i did this, but had a few new aquisitions from fellow forum members that i needed to get out and put through their paces --
For some reason, i got bit by the 10mm bug (again) and the 1911 bug at roughly the same time so the last few months i have been fortifying my supply of both ---
years ago i fell into the trap of selling off my 10mm's in lieu of going to all 9mm (caliber consolidation, dont shoot enough to shoot a 10 effectively, etc etc - whatever excuses we tell ourselves)

But Matt from Yukon had 2 Sig 1911's for sale a few months back in .45 at a fair price so i thought - maybe is time to re-visit the 1911 ---- The Officers model in the pic below is the best shooter in my inventory , - shoots circles around the full size , but i think that could be a personal glitch

Procured a Rock Island and a Delta recently and thought , - time for a shootout ---- so off to Slaughterville i go

The Rock Island has really top notch sights for a budget pistol and the fiber optic front makes it easy to focus on the front sight, The Delta - well, better than classic mil-spec A1 sights, but not by much -- however, accuracy at 10 and 15 yards was roughly the same for both pistols -- which is great for 3 shots, then 2 flyers (5 shot strings)

Groups are nothing to brag about but i point the blame on the nut behind the trigger for that -- i need to procure a case or 2 of 10mm and 45 before prices start ramping up again -- recoil is sporty, but not even close to the Glock 20 and 29 (which i brought along as an experiment control) -- due to only having a couple of boxes of 10mm on hand, i only put about 30 rounds through each gun, but there were no malfunctions with either one -- despite the cheap mag on the RIA. Mag for the Delta is a Wilson so you wouldnt expect issues there either

The G20 was shooting patterns , not groups -- but interestingly enough - the G29 was chewing the hole out of the center of the target in a similar fashion to the SIG Officers '45 - making me think the compacts are easier for me personally to control, but that seems like backwards logic.

I hadnt mentioned the full size Sig 1911, because theres not much to talk about - i shot it with more consistency than both the 10mm's, but that would be due to the recoil being 2/3rd's (perceived) of what those firearms deliver - but not as much as the 2 compacts i brought along

This range trip made it clear that i need more trigger time all the way around, - but with this impromptu shootout, -- the SIG Officer's model .45 is the clear winner with a Glock 29 coming in second

Still like the idea of the 10mm -- but iits definitely not a cartridge for a once every coupla' months recreational level shooter, but id like to tune my skillset up enough to carry one of them as my bowhunting backup later this year

pics or it didnt happen -- clockwisefrom the Delta : Delta Elite, RIA Ultra FS 10mm, Sig Officers .45 (dont know what the nomenclature is for the gun), and SIG full size .45 --- no pics of the Glocks - i dont often take pics of ugly guns even if they are effective

nv9PI65.jpg

Then the Delta posing atop its super secret squirrel clandestine ammo bag - who's going to think there is anything other than a PB&J and a Capri Sun in there?

1VkS8YE.jpg

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice report till the Glock remark!!! Bite your tongue and my buttocks!

But feel free to remark all you want about @swampratt High Points!

Ok Ok - My love affair with Glocks is as secret as a guy would be about a drunken tryst with a second cousin (and almost as fun) , but here’s a Papa Bear (20 gen 3 sf) Mama Bears (29 and 19 gen 5) and Baby Bear (26 g5) glamour shot

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The recoil impulse from both calibers is totally different. The 10mm isn't suitable for limp wristed individuals like the FBI which is why they chose to use the 9mm.
The .45ACP is more of a push vs a snappy recoil, but there is a round count issue for those that can't shoot. Once again why the FBI chose the 9mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom