12 yo defends himself in Houston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Channelview is on the very East side of Harris county (Houston) and its a very blue collar (read MAGA) area. I worked in Channelview right on the navigation channel (Port of Houston) when I was with Kinder Morgan. I'm not surprised they were a very armed and trained family.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son is 11, I don’t feel like he’s ready to attempt to use a firearm for home defense. I have a Glock 44 (.22 cal), an M&P-15-22, and a youth .410, he shoots them all. He’s definitely learning already.

But he just needs to get a little bit bigger and more mature before I can start advising him to smoke fools breaking into the house if I’m not there. Maybe 13ish? We’ll see

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is 11, I don’t feel like he’s ready to attempt to use a firearm for home defense. I have a Glock 44 (.22 cal), an M&P-15-22, and a youth .410, he shoots them all. He’s definitely learning already.

But he just needs to get a little bit bigger and more mature before I can start advising him to smoke fools breaking into the house if I’m not there. Maybe 13ish? We’ll see
I always called it the age of self awareness. That age when you really become aware of life and how good and bad choices can affect your future life.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love a happy ending.

Even 2/3rds of a happy ending.

Shame the kid will have to live with act, forever.

Channelview is about as redneck as it gets. Just up the road from Gilley's. Home of Johnny Lee. Several refineries and chemical plants.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always called it the age of self awareness. That age when you really become aware of life and how good and bad choices can affect your future life.
IMO. My kids went on their first dove hunt at 9 and 10 on a 20 gage pump they shared. I really couldn’t hunt while they were shooting but that year we were blessed by god. I had to tell them wait until they are about the fly over you there was so many.

We lived in the country and they were 7 and 8 approximately sharing a Red Rider. shooting. We shot a lot of clays when they started.

Im not sure what age anyone would be ready but one thing I knew, the kids knew what a shotgun can do. If it’s life or death I’d want my kids to know the function just in case it was a last resort.

Maturity does matter but as a parent you should instruct and make sure they aren’t taught by a Rambo type. JMO

Single dad that had to make that call.

Latest posts

Top Bottom