$120,000 shotgun!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something else to consider is tax bracket. I saw my boss trying to spend "end of the year money" to soften the tax hit in April. I'm no accountant, so I'll explain my understanding:
when you can deduct the money off your taxes as a business expenses, and you were going to have to give that money to the Uncle Sam if you didn't spend it, then the cost is only about $.30 on the dollar. So that 120k is only 36k. Now you have a 120k gift to give to a multi-million dollar client, that only cost 36k in real money.
I saw a lot of that stuff this year. buying equipment and tooling we didn't really need, and passing up asset sales for more that they were worth, because at the end of the year taxes are collected on profit. I'm not saying I agree with it or it's fair, but if I was filthy rich I would probably spend stupid money rather than give it to The Man.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something else to consider is tax bracket. I saw my boss trying to spend "end of the year money" to soften the tax hit in April. I'm no accountant, so I'll explain my understanding:
when you can deduct the money off your taxes as a business expenses, and you were going to have to give that money to the Uncle Sam if you didn't spend it, then the cost is only about $.30 on the dollar. So that 120k is only 36k. Now you have a 120k gift to give to a multi-million dollar client, that only cost 36k in real money.
I saw a lot of that stuff this year. buying equipment and tooling we didn't really need, and passing up asset sales for more that they were worth, because at the end of the year taxes are collected on profit. I'm not saying I agree with it or it's fair, but if I was filthy rich I would probably spend stupid money rather than give it to The Man.

Bingo

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What a horrible problem to have ... :woot:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a horrible problem to have ... :woot:

Tell me about it! I remember Mark Cuban right after he sold yahoo. He made billions selling yahoo, still held a whole bunch of shares of its common stock, knowing it was going to tank, at least initially after his departure, so he was selling that stock short and cleaning up! He was asked by a reporter how much income he made that year. He wouldn't answer that but he did say that he paid over $750,000,000 in income taxes that year. I had this discussion with my then multi-millionaire boss and told him I would love to pay that much in income tax!

As to the O/P if I had a 120K shot gun, I'd sell that sucker so fast, that even I would wonder what happened to it. Then I'd move to Grand Lake...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me about it! I remember Mark Cuban right after he sold yahoo. He made billions selling yahoo, still held a whole bunch of shares of its common stock, knowing it was going to tank, at least initially after his departure, so he was selling that stock short and cleaning up! He was asked by a reporter how much income he made that year. He wouldn't answer that but he did say that he paid over $750,000,000 in income taxes that year. I had this discussion with my then multi-millionaire boss and told him I would love to pay that much in income tax!

As to the O/P if I had a 120K shot gun, I'd sell that sucker so fast, that even I would wonder what happened to it. Then I'd move to Grand Lake...

:laughup: I don't know where I would go right off the top of my head, but I would certainly be "gone" somewhere ... LOL And there would be lots of wooded acreage around me ...

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was going to drop that kind of money I would be looking for something along the lines of

awww.kilroywashere.org_01_Images_KilroyStrikes_HOWITZER_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom