14th Armored Division taking German prisoners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a color film on the United States Holocaust Memorial website showing the 14th Armored Division taking German troops as POW's. There are all types of vehicles and a few weapons shown. Even get to see a Czech soldier with a mint condition VZ-24 helping keep track of them. Apparently Steven Spielberg owns the film.

http://resources.ushmm.org/film/display/detail.php?file_num=3306

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Noticed US soldier with Broomhandle Mauser and its wooden holster/shoulder stock about 3:15, and same soldier again about 5:39. He also receives another gun, its holstered, so can't tell what type, and he's got another in his back pocket.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I should have watched closer before calling it a VZ-24. At the 2:53 mark a Czech militiaman walks into view with what looks to be an unissued late war K98. That stock is blonde like it never had any stain or oil applied. I'll bet that drunk SS officer got his comeuppance after the camera was gone!

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. The SS had their insignia and blood type tattoed on their forearm. Many of the SS put on regular army uniforms near the end, but allied troops would make prisoners roll up their sleeves. If the SS tattoo was there, they were seperated from the others and ?

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. The SS had their insignia and blood type tattoed on their forearm. Many of the SS put on regular army uniforms near the end, but allied troops would make prisoners roll up their sleeves. If the SS tattoo was there, they were seperated from the others and ?

After the war they were segregated and turned over to the Russians if their paperwork suggested they were ever on the Eastern Front. I read in World war 2 magazine an article about the Cossack division that was kept by the British and returned to the Russians piecemeal. What made it so bad was in the POW encampment they could hear the shots of the russians executing the Cossacks. The Cossacks were allowed to have their women and children with them and it was a bad deal. The British were breaking down into tears whenever they had to go round up men from screaming and crying women and kids. They said not one Cossack ever broke and ran.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My grandpa told me that the regular German army soldiers would point out the SS troops when they'd come into POW camps in regular army uniforms. They seemed happy to do it, according to him.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed seeing the different types of German vehicles. the half-tracks, the cars that looked like the old Volkswagen "thing", the half-track motorcycle.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the war they were segregated and turned over to the Russians if their paperwork suggested they were ever on the Eastern Front. I read in World war 2 magazine an article about the Cossack division that was kept by the British and returned to the Russians piecemeal. What made it so bad was in the POW encampment they could hear the shots of the russians executing the Cossacks. The Cossacks were allowed to have their women and children with them and it was a bad deal. The British were breaking down into tears whenever they had to go round up men from screaming and crying women and kids. They said not one Cossack ever broke and ran.

You mean the XV Cossack Cavalry Corps? The turning-over of the Cossacks by the British to the Soviets is sometimes called "The Betrayal of the Cossacks." The German commander of this formation, General Helmuth von Pannwitz, could have remained in British custody due to his German nationality, but he chose to follow his Cossack troops into Soviet captivity. He was tried in a Soviet war crimes court and executed in Moscow in 1947.

Latest posts

Top Bottom