17 HMR for Predators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They work fine. Great shooting little round just make sure shot placement is good.
Heck I go after yotes with my .22lr sometimes, and we've killed a ton with .22 mags.
None of them would really be my first choice though, I'd much rather have a .223, .220, .22-250, .243 ect.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I shot three when I had mine, all around 100y or less and it did a great job, didn't drop instantly but within a short distance. Have since sold and found an old remington 5mm mag that was in excellent shape. It replaced my HMR and is now my "big bore rimfire".:)

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know, Predators are pretty tough what with the shoulder mounted lasers & thermal vision, I think I'd want a larger caliber.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I shot three when I had mine, all around 100y or less and it did a great job, didn't drop instantly but within a short distance. Have since sold and found an old remington 5mm mag that was in excellent shape. It replaced my HMR and is now my "big bore rimfire".:)

Where do you find the rounds for the 5mm Mag?
As I remember that cartridge came around in the 70's and never got popular ?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Where do you find the rounds for the 5mm Mag?
As I remember that cartridge came around in the 70's and never got popular ?

Aguila started making ammo for it again a couple of years ago, $23/50 rounds. I have a full box of original remington 5mm mag that's worth about half as much as the gun is worth. I think rem quit making ammo in 1982.

B

Bullet78

its all about shot placement you dont need a big round to do the job, i have a 17hmr and also a 22-250... i take my 22-250 deer hunting and hog hunting and shoot a 55 grain ballastic tips from bass pro and i have many pics of holes in deers and hogs u can fit 4 fingures in and they either dropped where they were standing or maybe ran 50 yards at the most, my 15 year old daughter hunted for her first time this year and first day out shot her first doe at 125 yards one shot ran 30 yards and was done... so make ur shots count and like the guy said above you could use a .22 if u want... of course not for deer hunting tho lol..not a legal round...but a .17 will be more than enough for predator hunting...

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd think ammo selection would be really important too. I have no experience with 17hmr but I do know that it's available in V-Max and if the 17hmr works as well as other rounds, that would make a big difference. The V-Max .223 we use for prairie dogs just destroys the little critters, so if the 17hmr opens up like that too, I'd be comfortable using it as a predator round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom