1886 winchester

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to my cousins yesterday to borrow a couple of his shotguns to go shooting skeet with my church. ( I just have a SD shotgun). He started showing me some of his guns that he got from his wife's dad that passed away not too long ago. He pulled out what he said was his best one. It was an 1886 winchester 45-70 with an octagon barrel. It was the coolest rifle I have ever held. But man the thing was heavy. I can't imagine lugging that thing around. How much do you guys think that thing is worth. It was in excellent condition. I know this ain't really an interesting thread but I wanted to share what I got to see and hold. That just happens to be my favorite rifle of all time. Maybe I can talk him into letting me shoot it. If he does I will definitely post pics and a range report.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like my kinda rifle. Most likely, it's still ok to fire. The 45-70 is an old black powder round and therefore lower pressure. If the bore is good and the action cycles properly, I'd load up some rounds and have fun.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you take any pictures? Do you know the age? I love the 1886 rifles and have a Browning 1886 nyself. Depending on condition it could be worth anywhere from $1500 to 5 figures.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1886 is a masterpiece of design. Very strong action. There were lots of different configurations made in it, so it's hard to say a value without seeing the rifle. 45-70 was the most common and probably the best, seeing how it is still a common caliber today. I think it was once chambered in 45-110. The Mdl. 71 was basically a modernized version of the 1886.

It seems to me that the weight of guns was not too much of a big deal within that generation. Perhaps people did not wear them slung across their back much, or maybe they were just tougher stock. Some were commonly in scabbards carried by horses, so that may have been a reason. Some of the octagon, long barrel rifles with full length cartridge tubes are indeed very heavy. I would love to have one of the older originals, but they are expensive if in good shape.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, in those days people had to work hard every day to survive.............they couldn't rely on the government for some food stamps and welfare.

No doubt they'd think this generation is completely made up of pencil-necked little sissies (and they would be right about that).

Latest posts

Top Bottom