1911 guru's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I LOVE me some 1911. And Hi Power.

I switch out the grips on pretty much everything I can, not because I don't like the factory grips, but because I want it to be mine. I'm partial to fancy wood or bone grips.

OK, I didn't like the factory (FEG) Hi Power grips. It is now wearing some pretty decent fake ivory panels. They were dirt cheap and look ok, but I may switch them out for natural bone.

I haven't felt the need to swap out metal parts (except see below), but I understand the desire to make it "bulletproof". I shoot pretty regularly, but not enough to wear the gun out, so I think I'll be ok. If I ever break a part, I'll almost certainly buy some really expensive non-MIM part, but I really doubt I'll ever be faced with that situation.

I did add a stronger recoil spring to my Ruger LW 9mm Commander. It came with an approximately 10lb spring, and it seemed like the slide was rocketing back to me. I think I put a 14lb spring in it, and it runs just fine.

Basically, if the AR platform is like Barbie for boys, the companion pistol is the 1911.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only MIM part I've ever experienced breakage with was a mag catch lock.

That's really odd. This is kind of a do nothing but catch the mag part and it really has little stress on it. I've only broken the hook tip off of a 1911 extractor. Sadly it was a WW2 bring back gun that is now not original.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's really odd. This is kind of a do nothing but catch the mag part and it really has little stress on it. I've only broken the hook tip off of a 1911 extractor. Sadly it was a WW2 bring back gun that is now not original.

FWIW, that gun had a LOT of problems. It had none when I finally got rid of it, but by that time it had exhausted my patience. :(

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, that gun had a LOT of problems. It had none when I finally got rid of it, but by that time it had exhausted my patience. :(

I get it! Been there and got the T shirt. And not just on guns. It's been mentioned here that since the 1911 is easy to modify folks should do it themselves. That's cool and I agree, to a point. Most anything, other than sights or grips, that will drop in and fit a 1911 will probably detract from the original good function of the pistol. If you truly have a need for a new barrel, grip safety, etc. the gunsmith fit stuff can be much better. The big problem is that this stuff won't drop in and fit. Sometimes it could be best to sell the 1911 you have and simply buy the one that has the options you want. There are a few manufacturers of 1911s these days that put out the bottom of the barrel stuff. But ya know, even the bottom of the barrel stuff in 1911s today is pretty good stuff.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's that little cut out that holds the spring and pin in the housing when it's uninstalled, I could see that

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, the little lug that cams into the slot sheared off. Replaced with a Wilson Combat part and that issue was fixed.

OK. I get this now. That is a really tiny piece of the mg release. Another small part that could be cast is the plunger that holds the thumb safety and slider lock. The end of the plunger could brake. I can see this happening since the tip end of the plunger is in sheer every time the safety or slide release are used. Ive seen the plunger tube come off the frame when it isn't staked properly. That's why some frame manufacturers machine the plunger tube as an integral part of the frame.