1911 mag opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got some Kimber Kim-pro mags on a sweet midway black Friday sale for like $14. The Kim-pro mags have a great reputation and work perfectly. kimber's standard line is not the best I have heard however.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used CMC mags, ACT mags, and S&W factory mags (more ACT mags). Good stuff, no failures of any kind. Tripp are the brand to beat if money is no object.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have a handful of 7 round act and some factory colts. I am going to get some 8 round mags with slam pads on them. I plan on putting a mag well on one. I really appreciate all the feedback. Still do not know if I want the Wilson's or tripps but it sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read all of the specs on the 47d's and the ETM's and still can tell much of a difference. The moved the slots, changed the follower material, and a removable base pad. What do you like so much better Peabody.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read all of the specs on the 47d's and the ETM's and still can tell much of a difference. The moved the slots, changed the follower material, and a removable base pad. What do you like so much better Peabody.

The ETMs are designed to hold 8 rounds. They fit easily into the 1911. The 47Ds hold 8 rounds but they weren't really designed to hold 8 rounds. (This is what the the wilson combat rep explained to me). You have to really jam/force the the 47Ds up into the the 1911. I would rather insert the mag and have it catch easily instead to have to jam and force it. That's just me. Others could probably care less. The 47Ds do work though. What I have explained is the reason that they developed the ETMs (again that is what was explained to me by a Wilson combat rep)

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Peabody. That makes sense.
The ETM started with a blank sheet of paper and 30+ years of 1911 and 1911 magazine experience. It WILL set a new standard in 1911 magazines while redefining state-of-the-art.

Increases Reliability in ALL 1911 Pistols

Aircraft Grade Certified Stainless Steel Tube Resists Corrosion

The ETM has the Strongest Magazine Tube Yet Developed, Virtually Eliminating Feed Lip Cracking, Tube Spread and Cracking and General Fatigue

Refined Radius for Each Bend in the Tube to Take Advantage of the Strength in the Stainless Steel

Proprietary, Custom Designed Welding Process

Proprietary Multi-Step Tumbling and Finishing Process Provides Smooth Follower Operation and Insertion into the Weapon

Observation Slots Moved to the Rear of the Tube, Located Exactly Where They Need to be to Maintain the Structural Integrity

Innovative Follower Design With its Extended Skirt Ensures Stability in Operation and Minimizes Creep from the Tube when the Magazine is Empty

Fiber-Fill Nylon Self-Lubricating Follower Provides Smooth Round Feeding

Positive Slide-Lock After the Last Round has been Fired

Space-Age Stainless Steel Spring Wire is Phenomenal for Spring Life

The ETM Seats and Locks in the Weapon with the Slide Down

Removable Base Pad for Easy Maintenance and Versatility with Different Base Pad Options

The Quality Control Behind the ETM Promises a Lifetime of Smooth and Reliable Operation

No-Risk Service Policy - If It Breaks from Normal Use, We Replace It!