2001 Accord Starting problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the voltage while having trying to start it. Or take the battery to a parts store and have them check it. I would also check all the battery cables and make sure they are tight. Sounds like the battery or a bad connection somewhere.
DO THIS FIRST!

The no-load voltage level is practically meaningless. Practically dead batteries can show 12V without a load.

Could save a lot of wasted effort and guesswork. :drunk2:

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shift interlock takes very little amperage to work, and the no crank is most likely related to this. It will be a fuse, relay, multiplex(which is made into the fusebox), or ignition switch.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Test the battery. 12.22V is too low unless you had a load on it.

Fully-charged, our REDTOPs (including 34M BLUETOP) will read approximately 12.6-12.8 volts and our YELLOWTOPs will read approximately 13.0-13.2 volts (including BLUETOPs with light gray cases). When any 12-volt battery is discharged below 12.4 volts, sulfation begins to occur within the battery. Over time, this sulfation will diminish both the performance and lifespan of the battery. Regular use of a quality battery tender or maintainer will keep batteries properly charged and extend their useful life.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/2010/09/124-magic-number-batteries

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had O’Reilly Auto Parts check it…after an hour and a half test I was informed that the battery was bad. Took it to Don Carlton where it was purchased and they tested it for another hour before they would they would prorate it.

Installed the new battery but no bueno. Same result when I attempt to start the car.

Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a brake switch behind the pedal...I wasn't sure if that also served as the safety switch or not so I hesitated to mention (since the switch on the kia was in the tranny). But I bet based on yukonjack's info, that they are indeed separate on the accord. Let us know what it was when you finally fix it for future reference!

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the Kia, the Accord's neutral safety switch is on transmission. There is also a brake switch above the pedal that goes to the shift interlock solenoid. A bad brake switch will keep the shifter from moving, but the car will still turn on. A neutral safety switch will keep the car from cranking, but will not keep the shifter from moving.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the Kia, the Accord's neutral safety switch is on transmission. There is also a brake switch above the pedal that goes to the shift interlock solenoid. A bad brake switch will keep the shifter from moving, but the car will still turn on. A neutral safety switch will keep the car from cranking, but will not keep the shifter from moving.

Maybe both of these went bad? Interesting problem. Hard to diagnose over the internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom