2012 Duck Migration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You got that right, it needs to rain, big time. When winter sets in and I am curious as to whether the ducks have started to come south, I call a buddy in Valentine NE and see if the playas have frozen. When they have I know the migration will have started in earnest.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find birds right now, you will find a lot of them concentrated together! One of our spots that always has water and food is holding 1000+ birds. It's usually not like that until much later in the season, but I think every local bird in the state has found it. It's pretty rare that I would sit in the duck blind during muzzleloader season, but after what I saw this morning it was an easy decision. Can't wait till Saturday!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our local lake has coves that are either dried up or look like ponds/creeks. We've dropped 4 feet since July and it's currently 6.5 feet low from "normal." Going to be a rough time by the second split. We'll be 7+ feet low by Christmas it seems.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
we saw a few flocks tonight while deer hunting. two smaller groups of 20 or less but one group came through at o"dark thirty that had 40-50 ducks in it. they are here but as was said before, concentrated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can find birds right now, you will find a lot of them concentrated together! One of our spots that always has water and food is holding 1000+ birds. It's usually not like that until much later in the season, but I think every local bird in the state has found it. It's pretty rare that I would sit in the duck blind during muzzleloader season, but after what I saw this morning it was an easy decision. Can't wait till Saturday!

I had to make a trip to the Dam on Sooner this morning. In that 3 mile drive around one large pond, and down the intake side of the lake, I'd estimate I saw 10,000 ducks of all varieties. The eagles were hunting, so they were all in huge rafts. I took a couple of pics with my cell phone, but since tapatalk isn't working, its a PITA to get them on here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom