2013 Elk Hunt Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been Elk Hunting but always wanted too. Well.... It's time for that to change. I'm primarily a bow hunter but would be just as happy to dust off the 300 win magnum. I have a budget of about $4k for the total hunt. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Want a trophy or just a nice rack? Big boys are in New Mexico. Population in Colorado. I'm hitting Wyoming this year. Check it out quick. The deadline for Wyoming draw is 2moro. Got mine done about 30min ago!

Colorado app. date is end of March. Not sure on NM. If you want a canned (guided) hunt, check each states options using google (hunt New Mexico Elk). Also, you can still hunt some units in CO with an over the counter bull tag.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out Colorado Division of wildlife. It's close enough to drive and they have 10-15 units that you don't have to draw to hunt. Colorado is always my fall back if I don't get drawn in other states!

If I don't get Wyoming, you can roll with my brother and I in CO. FYI, get into shape! We don't hunt canned, you have to actually work for your meat!

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have any preference points ? Some areas in Colorado take a lot of points other areas are across the counter tags . We are going to try area 61 which takes 15-16 pp ( we have 16 banked ) but area 62,70 are across the counter .Most Colorado elk hunts run 3,500 - 5,500 + tag around 550 . Go to Colorado outdoor web site and find the Guide assc. table it will give you names of guides that you can call . Try finding the preference points section and it should let you know which areas are across the counter tags . If you call the CDOW they will send you the 2013 regs which will be out real soon . The dead line for the elk draw is the first part of April . Hope this helped

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
non guided elk hunt in NM is $750 for a bull tag plus non resident license, and a few other small fee's if Im not wrong. Its their version of a controlled hunt drawing, and they do issue preference points.
Buddy moved out there a couple of years ago, and scored a decent bull on his first day in the field.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Downdeep - Go to the OYH&SP bull elk hunt raffle and read about the hunt. If you buy some tickets you might get lucky and win and kill a nice bull. The average bull killed on this ranch this past fall was 308". The biggest bull killed in the Morino Valley this fall was 380" by a bow hunter on this ranch.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Rocky Mountain Elk Dinner will be at the Ford Truck building again this year Feb 23 , Tulsa fair grounds .Call 918-806-8926 tickets NOT sold at door

Latest posts

Top Bottom