2014-2015 Waterfowl Guide (draft)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie is correct. We have "x" number of days to shoot waterfowl each year and they have To happen in a certain time frame. We legally hunt as late as we can into the new year. Technically we could hunt the days straight and not have a split and the season just starts two weeks later. I personally would prefer that the split happened at the same time as rifle season to rid the conflict that always a happens between deer hunters and duck hunters.

I have to disagree. Some of my best hunts occur during rifle season. With as many people in the woods as there are it keeps the birds kicked up off the ponds and creeks. I love waterfowl during deer season.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We can only hunt for so many days between certain dates. Some folks really like the early season when the temps are mild and some really like the late season when there are typically more birds around. TO try and satisfy as many as possible, Oklahoma sets the dates so that we have both the early and the late season, therefore we must have a break.

Alternatively, another way to have a break would be make Tuesdays and Wednesdays (for example) no hunting days, and then you could hunt every weekend. Or we could keep the split, just stagger the zone 1 and zone 2 split so there is always somewhere to hunt.

I don't mind the split, it gives me a little rest. Plus my wife like it as I will be home for at least one weekend!

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree. Some of my best hunts occur during rifle season. With as many people in the woods as there are it keeps the birds kicked up off the ponds and creeks. I love waterfowl during deer season.

Ohh and +1 to hunting during deer season. Birds stay bump all day.

Duck hunt the morning, and start deer hunting the afternoon and scout the evening.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We can only hunt for so many days between certain dates. Some folks really like the early season when the temps are mild and some really like the late season when there are typically more birds around. TO try and satisfy as many as possible, Oklahoma sets the dates so that we have both the early and the late season, therefore we must have a break.

Alternatively, another way to have a break would be make Tuesdays and Wednesdays (for example) no hunting days, and then you could hunt every weekend. Or we could keep the split, just stagger the zone 1 and zone 2 split so there is always somewhere to hunt.

I don't mind the split, it gives me a little rest. Plus my wife like it as I will be home for at least one weekend!

Yes we're given 80 days prior to February 1st. I'd like the split to be from February 1 to November 12th :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom