.22 mag capacity - why so low?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm trying to figure out why all these lovely AR and HK clones on the market (in .22 LR ) all have mag capacities in the range of 20. The mags are every bit as long as .223 PMAGs and yet they only hold 20 rounds. The Ruger BX-25 is huge and still only fits 25 rds. I'm assuming this has something to do with an inability to stagger the .22LR round? What's the reason for that?

omega21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly clear what you are saying Mouthpiece. The 5.56 AR/M16 mags allow the rounds to stagger left and right. The .22 mags are single stack as far as I can tell. Can't really see what's going on in the BX25 though...

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, they are single stack in AR/22lr mags. The mags have been manufactured to duplicate AR223 mags in appearance.
My CMMG and Blackdog .22lr mags are 25 or 27 round mags.

BX25 mags are single stack.

Because of the .22lr rimmed cartridge, staggered RELIABLE feeding is more difficult to obtain.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to hazard a guess that it has something to do with how hard the magazine spring presses the top round against the bottom of the bolt vs. how much that pressure will slow down the bolt of a .22LR rifle with its limited recoil and still be reliable. The only exceptions seem to be drum mags - Black Dog's 50 rounder for the 10-22/15-22 and certain AR conversion kits, GSG's proprietary 110 rounder for some of its rifles, etc., and neither of those actually get very many rave reviews as far as reliability.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22LR rounds basically can't go much over 10 in a straight magazine, like you have in a handgun, (Ruger MK III, etc for example) and in the 25 or so round range for some rifles with a curved magazine (M&P 15-22 for example) because the rim of the cartridge case is larger in diameter than the case itself. Thus; they do not to lie right next to each other in the magazine like a center fire round does. Lay out a bunch of .22LR rounds on the table, one on top of the other and see...my explanation isn't crystal clear, but if you will do it, you will see the reason. Compare the physical structure of a .22LR round to any center fire round as well for additional detail.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The word you're searching for is "rimmed". .22 magazines, for the most part, are either curved or slanted.

Another good example is 7.62x54.

Latest posts

Top Bottom