This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
The XTPs?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the SXTs. I call them the "Caucasian Talons" because they are the same load as the Black Talons of years gone by, but now they wear a politically correct copper jacket. ;)

My little Ruger LCP is stoked with Hornady Critical Defense.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t get all the hate about the lowly 380. It’s a 9mm short; it lays about 200 ft lbs on the bad guy; you seriously going to tell me that some thug is going to take a couple of hits like that to his sternum and keep coming? Well come on then. Oughta take a little gas outta his tank at the very least. I figure that by then I can pistol whip the rest of the daylights outta him. Seriously now, I have no worries; zero even; about carrying a .380 with 95 gr FMJ rounds in it for a CCW Gun. I guarantee that if I shoot some ne’er-do-well center mass or thereabouts, and I get rounds on target before he can shoot me, I win the fight. People fret and worry over a small amount of energy lost to the silly little 2mm case length difference between this round and a 9mm round. (Of course, this is stuff coming from a guy who really prefers carrying his 10MM pistol anyway). But I honestly do not worry if I find myself with just a .380 at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t get all the hate about the lowly 380. It’s a 9mm short; it lays about 200 ft lbs on the bad guy; you seriously going to tell me that some thug is going to take a couple of hits like that to his sternum and keep coming? Well come on then. Oughta take a little gas outta his tank at the very least. I figure that by then I can pistol whip the rest of the daylights outta him. Seriously now, I have no worries; zero even; about carrying a .380 with 95 gr FMJ rounds in it for a CCW Gun. I guarantee that if I shoot some ne’er-do-well center mass or thereabouts, and I get rounds on target before he can shoot me, I win the fight. People fret and worry over a small amount of energy lost to the silly little 2mm case length difference between this round and a 9mm round. (Of course, this is stuff coming from a guy who really prefers carrying his 10MM pistol anyway). But I honestly do not worry if I find myself with just a .380 at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have no worries carrying a 380 because you havnt shot anyone with one. 380 often comes up short on penetration, especially hollow points. There are MANY cases where a 380 got less than 4inches of penetration.

A lot of you guys are looking at gel tests and thinking that's how it works in the human body. Guys it doesn't. Gel test aren't wearing clothes and dont have ribs and a sternum to contend with. Not to mention that human tissue/organs are a lot tougher than gel. That massive expansion you see in gel tests isn't stopping any human for but a moment

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have no worries carrying a 380 because you havnt shot anyone with one. 380 often comes up short on penetration, especially hollow points. There are MANY cases where a 380 got less than 4inches of penetration.

A lot of you guys are looking at gel tests and thinking that's how it works in the human body. Guys it doesn't. Gel test aren't wearing clothes and dont have ribs and a sternum to contend with. Not to mention that human tissue/organs are a lot tougher than gel. That massive expansion you see in gel tests isn't stopping any human for but a moment

So what happened when you shot someone with a .380? What load did you use?

Surely some loads are crap, but the loads I just posted are not.

Gel tests are incomplete for reference to the human body that is true, however it's the best we have.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what happened when you shot someone with a .380? What load did you use?

Surely some loads are crap, but the loads I just posted are not.

Gel tests are incomplete for reference to the human body that is true, however it's the best we have.

+1 for this. I’d rather have 4” of penetration and expel all energy in my assailant than a few hundred more fps that results in a through and through with lost energy. Wise ammo choice is key.

Latest posts

Top Bottom