2WD, 4WD, FWD, RWD, AWD, Tracks, which one is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck, it fell apart before it really got here too. Aaron Tuttle and all the other drama queens were calling for 6" even though the NWS was pretty consistent at 1 or 2 max.

Our weather guessers suck.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the tires , not the car .

My lowered HHR with spiked tires , worked better. Then my Jeep on 37in MT in the winters in AK. (5 years in Alaska )

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is like asking which is better, a 10mm wrench, 12mm wrench, 14mm wrench or 16mm wrench?

on road: AWD45/55>FWD>RWD - you dont use 4WD on pavement.
off road: 4WDLow - unless you have an australian subaru with the AWDLow trans this is your only real option.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They all stop "or the lack there of" the same in the snow/ice. 4WD/AWD will have better take off, but if it's deep enough, you're going to get stuck no matter what unless you have a set of these http://www.mattracks.com/

4WD with a locker is your best bet for general offroad/weather purposes. AWD next, then FWD, then RWD.
I agree with the above posts, the driver is more important than the vehicle in most cases... Know your limitations and don't push it.
I pulled more lifted Jeeps out of the snow than any other vehicle when I had my Silverado; overconfidence never overrules physics.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically this one is both 4x4 AND tracks. tracked 4x4.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom