30-Year-Old San Francisco McDonald’s Closes Due to $20 Minimum Wage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have basically swore off fast food because I won’t support deadbeats. I still remember hearing them yell ‘Give us $10 an hour and we will come back to work!’ Places are paying way more than that and they still aren’t working.

I went to a new Jersey Mikes about a week ago. They had 10 employees behind the counter and it still took over 20 minutes to get our order. Plus I had to listen to one igit tell everyone about his struggles with Anxiety and Work.

Subway sucks big time, but they only have 2 or 3 employees and they get your order out in less than 10 minutes most days. Plus it cost half what the therapy session I suffered through at JM.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, higher wages equals fewer fast food chains surviving, or prices going up?

Go to You Tube and look at some old Tulsa films from 1980s, 1970s...back when there was less fast food.

Perhaps this is a good thing. Except it may lessen the number of "beauties" for Rick to post.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why mention its been around for 30 years? If it was a mom and pop store, then okay, I get the enormity of the place closing. But a McDonalds? All of them need to close for the health of society.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why mention its been around for 30 years? If it was a mom and pop store, then okay, I get the enormity of the place closing. But a McDonalds? All of them need to close for the health of society.
It's designed to create outrage about minimum wage being so high that the store can no longer afford to stay open.

Simply a distraction from the reality, which is the American dollar simply doesn't have the buying power it used to.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If raising our minimum wage will get McD's closed, I'm all for it! As CA is finding out, $$ isn't a motivator for our younger generation or those who generally work in fast food.

BUT, it's not just the fast food industry. Wife is a nurse and she says the younger nurses(CNA usually) will complain about having 2 patients yet sit around on their phones while a buzzer is going off. And, they're making quite a bit more than minimum wage. Most these days just don't have the work ethic of us older folks. Some do but from what I've seen most under 30 just don't have that motivation to succeed or their definition of succeed isn't the same as ours.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem with raising it to $20 per hr is they wont give the employees that has been working for sometime and worked their way up to that amount anything so a new untrained employee is going to make the same as a employee that has been there sometime and has had all the training, went thru this where i worked to a point they raised the starting pay up to what some employees was making after 5 years so what incentives does to trained employee have to work towards if they are hiring at the same amount as older employees are making. Dont get me wrong im not against raising it but why so much without requiring everyone in a certain tax bracket up to a certain point getting a raise also.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem with raising it to $20 per hr is they wont give the employees that has been working for sometime and worked their way up to that amount anything so a new untrained employee is going to make the same as a employee that has been there sometime and has had all the training, went thru this where i worked to a point they raised the starting pay up to what some employees was making after 5 years so what incentives does to trained employee have to work towards if they are hiring at the same amount as older employees are making. Dont get me wrong im not against raising it but why so much without requiring everyone in a certain tax bracket up to a certain point getting a raise also.
Simple. It's CA and you are expecting common sense on their decisions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom