300K without water....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BB
Yes it is. There are several ways to make water safer to drink. I go by Rule #1 Kill
micro-organisms first. That can be accomplished by several means. Boiling your water for at least 3-5 minutes. Using a filter system such as PUR or Katadyn or a life straw etc.
Using sodium hypoclorite (Chlorox) at a rate 0f 10 drops per gallon for clear water and double for murky. If
murky water before it is consumed you should be able to detect the smell of chlorine in the water. If not, retreat
with 20 drops per gallon for murky water. In an emergency situation, one can fill a clear plastic bottle
lay it on its side in the sun for 5-7 hrs and the UV rays will kill all microbs. There are several good articles
and videos if one is willing to search for UV clear bottle water sanitation.
Rule #2 is more complicated. If you are using water that might have a lot of chemicals in it, then
some form of activated charcoal will help remove a lot of the chemicals. In an emergency you can set up
a couple 5 gal. buckets and use sand,cloth, gravel, straw or whatever media you have available to pre-strain
your water with.
Then without a chemical test kit it will be impossible to know how chem free your water will be but
drinking chemicals will not do you in as fast as microbs can. And the goal is to get your body hydrated
before dehydration does you in. lol....clear as mud huh?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL ... yeah ... pretty much. Me, the dog and the cats got really sick drinking what I thought was safe water that had been stored at the cabin, so I'm ultra-sensitive now ... I don't EVER intend to do that again ... :nolike:

You know it's bad when the cats get poo on them and they go get in the bathtub expecting YOU to wash it off of them ... :D

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back to the charcoal issue. Below is a photo of my SHTF water filtration system. It's basically two 5-gallon buckets with a ceramic filter in between. The filter is a ceramic filter that supposedly "removes 99.999% bacteria, reduces/removes virus, also reduces/removes fluoride, and reduces/removes arsenic". The filter is a "0.2 micron filter, filled with a carbon based media, removes water-borne bacterium with an efficiency which exceeds NSF standards. "

While it says that the filter is filled with a carbon-based media, it's probably not a complete substitute for activated charcoal filtration. I did some quick research last night and saw some very simple charcoal filter system ideas. So, what do you think of this idea? I just add a third bucket in the middle. Filtered water would drip into my new charcoal bucket. I add this middle bucket that is filled with activated charcoal from an aquarium supply outfit. The filtered water from #1 would drip through the charcoal in #2 and then drip into #3.

Would this work? What am I missing?

filter.jpg

filter2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom