.308 Information Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you planning on just getting a 16 inch barrel and shooting surplus ammo, or do you want a longer tube and shoot long range with better quality ammo. It's not too much more expensive if you want to get a cheaper 16 inch barrel and shoot surplus ammo, but if you want a long range gun it gets more pricey.

You will want a more expensive upper with a longer barrel 18 inch or over, a better trigger and a higher power scope. With that you will be wanting to shoot match grade ammo to squeeze all the accuracy out of your rifle at longer range. That gets much more costly.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lately ive found quality 762X51 surplus for not much more than domestic 556X45 ammo. I like my dpms 308 rifles although they are heavy.

Accuracy is excellent and mags have gotten cheaper as Magpul now makes mags for them. I saw a pic of a new 308 coming out made by Remington and it looks badass! Also alot of ar 15 equipment interchanges with them. The rifles with the stainless 24 inch barrel weighs a ton!

If you get one i doubt youll regret it. There alot of fun to plink with.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v460_preokc_planes103.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v460_preokc_Picture128_1.jpg

Would you mind giving me the specs to the AR-10 (.308) in the upper pic. That is almost the exact way I want my Ar-10 setup. Did you buy it this way or did you have to build it and if you dont mind kind of a ball park for what you have in it.

TIA....

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...

I've just been reading story after story of troops wishing they had a larger caliber and like the idea of 7.62. I can't afford to shoot 6.8 and was wondering about an affordable option for a larger caliber than .223.

Don't go overseas and shoot cheap .223/5.56 is the answer.

And don't engage anyone over 200m here in the US of A and .223/5.56 should work for you!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they exactly the same specs (as opposed to the subtle differences in 5.56 Nato vs. .223)?

I think you can get .308 for as little as $.48/rnd (that's the cheapest I'd shoot through an AR). If you want to shoot decent distances with any accuracy, you might as well go ahead and get some match-grade ammo for around $.75-$1 per round.

You can get Wal-Mart Federal 100rd pack bulk .223 ammo for $.40 per round and you can order it cheaper online. Almost all the cheap .223 ammo I've shot has been a lot better than the cheap .308 (better OAL, case-seating is noticeably more uniform - patterns are better, more consistent, etc.).

You'll have to order it online or from a local shop that has decent prices (forget Wal-Mart or Academy - they don't have good priced .308 that's worth a crap).

Check this place out - super-fast shipping and watch out for their sales/deals:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-308-762-nato

Also do NOT shoot 5.56 in a rifle marked and chambered for .223. You run the risk of having bigtime issues and potential kaboom. I personally know directly from the source of one such instance actually occuring and not just theory.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DPMS brand will have the most aftermarket choices in the 308. Everything you could ever want and then some. If this is for hunting, I don't see a need for the quad rails and the other tactical components, buts thats just my opinion and the way I shoot.

I like the 18" barrel on mine... mainly keeping short and as compact as I can. My purpose was for a brush type hunting gun. It has a carbonfiber foregrip, basicall the stock hunting model that has a dust cover.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Would you mind giving me the specs to the AR-10 (.308) in the upper pic. That is almost the exact way I want my Ar-10 setup. Did you buy it this way or did you have to build it and if you dont mind kind of a ball park for what you have in it.

TIA....

It a DPMS LR-308T. Base model rifle with a fixed A2 fixed stock and 16 inch floating barrel. No dust cover or forward assist but thats ok with me. I like that it has no fixed front sight so when looking through the red dot theres no co-witnessing the front sight.

Ive added the Magpul UBR stock, Yankee Hill BUIS and Bushnell red dot sight. The rifle shoots great and is very accurate. Heres a ball park breakdown of what i have in it......

DPMS LR-308T 950
Magpul UBR stock 250
Yankee Hill BUIS 150
Bushnell red dot 140
308 carbine spring 15
308 carbine buffer 30

Latest posts

Top Bottom