308 Rifle Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My recommendation for harvesting mature deer is the Tikka T3 with either a Nikon, Leupold or a Vortex. I haven't found a smoother action, more accurate rifle in a rifle for $500. I'm also in Yukon if you want to check one out.

gunlovinokie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My recommendation for harvesting mature deer is the Tikka T3 with either a Nikon, Leupold or a Vortex. I haven't found a smoother action, more accurate rifle in a rifle for $500. I'm also in Yukon if you want to check one out.

I have heard a few praise Tikka. I didnt know they were as inexpensive. I am hitting banner road/canadian ranges Sunday. Time has yet to be determined. If you happen to come out there, i would gladly take you up on your offer. Thanks man!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 guns that are bolt actions that are dead nuts reliable and are MOA or better
1 .308 is a savage 10fp.
2. Mossberg 100atr in 30-06.
3. Mossberg 100atr in .243 winchester.
I got the 243 because I liked how the 30-06 felt and shot.

I dropped my 30-06 out of a tree over 10 feet up in the air..
Fell right on it's side on the bolt handle side.
Hit leaf covered flagstone on frozen ground..I thought it lost Zero for sure.Old style Centerpoint scope 4-16x40 with the mounts that came with it.

I walked back to the area we target practice 700 yards away so not too far.
Laid in the snow in prone position and took at the X on a piece of paper at 211 yards.
A little to the right like 1".. normal, as the wind was blowing about 7-10mph ..Clicked off another round and it was 1/4" from the first one.
Shot a third time and it was a little more to the right about 3/4" away from the other 2 shots and about 1/4" lower..
Good to go!
Yes i like my 100atr.. and the mossberg 4x4 is the same barrel etc..so i have read.

There are soooo many guns out there to choose from now and most will hold MOA or better.. and you do not need to spend a fortune on one to hunt with.

My old model 94 30-30 has never failed me either..It is scoped and has killed many deer and one past 300 yards.

Whatever you get you need to practice with it,, if you plan on shooting at deer at 300 yards you need to practice hitting targets at 300 yards.

Never assume that the trajectory math will make a good shot happen.

I had a load for my savage that printed .376" at 100 yards.. I took it hunting and at 150 yards i hit a deer higher than what i aimed and more to the left.

Come to find out those 178gr bullets held great groups at 100 yards. BUT at 200 yards it opened up to 12"!!!!

Now i have loads that are 3/4" at 100 yards and 3/4" at 200 yards and 1.3" at 300 yards.. 3 to 4 shot groups.
This is really all you need to test a hunting gun.
But do test it at the distances you plan on using it.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is a Ruger M77 with the tang safety. I really like the Mark I Rugers. You will find lots of options on the rifles. A good quality scope is a must and as mentioned, lots of practice.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a tikka t3 stainless in 7 mag with a 3x9x40 leupold vxr. Love it. I bought mine barely used on gun broker for 500.

I'm a lefty , so my choices were limited but I couldn't be happier. 3 of my buddies also has t3's.