1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

308 Rifle Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by DSUFLYBOY, Oct 3, 2020.

1. DSUFLYBOY

DSUFLYBOY Marksman

Thanks for the intel, BTW, do you know how much she weighs? Just curious.

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

2. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yes the MagPul Stocks are very good

3. CorpsVet

CorpsVet Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If you didn't require a bolt action, I would suggest the FNAR

4. DSUFLYBOY

DSUFLYBOY Marksman

I have thought about that in depth. The main reasons I am thinking bolt vs semiauto is weight and simplicity. But after looking at both, the AR-308's are roughly the same weight and only cost maybe 500 more than the bolt guns.

One semiauto that has really stood out during my research is the Sig 716i in 308. It has a LOT of features for a rifle that MSRP's at 1299. Not to mention it weighs 8.5 lbs empty, much the same weight as the bolt guns. AND it takes the 20 rnd Magpul mags, not the 10 rnd AICS Magpul mags that the bolt guns are using.

Decisions decisions. tread-716-left-web-final-1.jpg

5. Shooter64

Shooter64 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The savage weighs 7 3/4 pounds fully loaded.

6. devildog88

devildog88 Marksman

I have watched a lot of videos of hog hunts and it seems an ar-10 or a ar-15 can be used on pigs with great effect. I think if i was limiting guns a 308 ar-10 would fit the bill and would have lots of room for customizing. I have been getting ready for a hog hunt and i am going to use my ar-10 and try out a new cheaper night scope to see how that works. I go back and forth on trying to pick up a 458 socom ar-15 to try, but i don't reload 458 yet and really haven't been willing to try and justify it with all that is going on.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    DSUFLYBOY likes this.
  7. DSUFLYBOY

DSUFLYBOY Marksman

Thanks for your input, I'm leaning more towards the AR-10 route myself.

BTW, what type of NV do you use currently? And what are you thinking of up grading to?

Just thought of it, is there a thread on OSA concerning NV devices/set ups that you know of before I run off searching?

Thanks for the info.

8. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Just gonna throw out there to stay away from the KelTec RFB. Poor experience by a good friend. Both the rifle itself and the subsequent poor customer service. I think he eventually got them to refund him and he moved on down the road.

9. Parks 788

Parks 788 Sharpshooter

devildog88 likes this.
  10. devildog88

devildog88 Marksman

I have looked at those as well. they seem nice. I am sure you get a little more precision out of a bolt than an ar-10 platform, but ease of use and having 18 rounds semi-auto is pretty nice.
    I went the cheap route with the ATN x-sight pro 4k. It has some neat features, like a one shot zero and recording that i like. The glass is not great, but definitely usable inside of 500m. Hell, inside 250m it is more than fine. I got a amazon warehouse deal on it that brought it down to like 400 bucks, so i really can't complain that it doesn't look like a 1000 dollar scope in day mode. It is a 3-14, but realistically 10x is about as much as i would crank it before it starts falling apart visually. The illuminator it came with will paint to 200m just fine, but i hear an upgrade there will get you out to 400m. It should be nice for hog hunting at night. Definitely nicer than any night vision we had available in desert storm. Things have come a long ways.

As to upgrading it, probably just the illuminator right now and i will leave it set up for night hunting. The one shot zero feature is just pretty damn cool. You set up your bullet profile, then go take a shot. You set your poa at the shot hole then move the crosshair to your target. In one shot it will correct to within an inch from what i have found. My wife managed to ring steel within 3 shots at 1000m with the scope on an ar-10, so all in all pretty usable and fun. Also, it saved that shot on video that i uploaded to my computer and edited. Now she has a video of ringing that steel on her phone. Cool feature. I planned on using it to fix screwups on my part, but went with a 5x prism for day stuff. It is on the bulky side, but i guess that is the price you pay for night vision.