32 short and long colt converted to 32 short and long SW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmartin

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever converted a revolver from a 32 colt to a 32 Sw? Can the cylinder be altered either diy or gun smith? It's very hard to find 32 long or short colt and when I do it's very expensive.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever converted a revolver from a 32 colt to a 32 Sw? Can the cylinder be altered either diy or gun smith? It's very hard to find 32 long or short colt and when I do it's very expensive.
I have heard of people firing 32 acp in solid frame 32 Colt guns, but never one being converted to 32 S&W. Might be possible.

I did some quick research and the bore on 32 Colt is tighter than 32 S&W. Might not be a good idea.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Which revolver? Doing a bit of research and it’s a walk in the weeds. If I understand correctly, 32 (short) colt has a larger diameter case than the 32 S&W. But the 32 colt New Police (long) is the same as 32 S&W.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will shoot it but you will have the sticky brass issue. I think the difference is .313 vs .299 diameter on the brass.
Btw, I know your future FIL. I’ve seen the pic of the jeep in your avatar on his phone.

bmartin

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I think it will shoot it but you will have the sticky brass issue. I think the difference is .313 vs .299 diameter on the brass.
Btw, I know your future FIL. I’ve seen the pic of the jeep in your avatar on his phone.
I'm hopeful that the difference could be removed from the cylinder, it being .014 in brass maybe that difference can be removed to allow the brass to eject correctly.

Oh yes haha he will be my FIL in 3 months!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be cheaper and easier to find an H&R cylinder off of evilbay and have it fitted. Not sure of a smith to recommend. Anybody have any ideas?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm, are you sure about the IJ? I have never heard of one being chambered in 32 Colt. For your viewing pleasure here are a couple of my IJs (38 S&W).
IMG_2575.jpeg

Something else to verify is if either of the revolvers you’ve mentioned are smokeless or BP frames. I know on the IJs if it has a leaf main spring it’s BP but that’s not necessarily so with the H&Rs.