32 short and long colt converted to 32 short and long SW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmartin

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm, are you sure about the IJ? I have never heard of one being chambered in 32 Colt. For your viewing pleasure here are a couple of my IJs (38 S&W).
View attachment 498564

Something else to verify is if either of the revolvers you’ve mentioned are smokeless or BP frames. I know on the IJs if it has a leaf main spring it’s BP but that’s not necessarily so with the H&Rs.
I'll have to look, the IJ is my dad's and he said it's a 32 colt but its very possible he is mistaken. Those are some beautiful IJs, I have one in 38 but it's no where near that condition but functions well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731_163025_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240731_163025_Video Player.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

bmartin

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Okay @bmartin I checked with a couple guys I know that are pretty much authorities on old IJ revolvers and they confirmed IJ never chambered one in 32 Colt so Dad must be mistaken and his revolver is indeed chambered for 32 S&W. Thought you’d like to know.
He will be thrilled, he has had it for years and said his buddy that sold it to him told him it was 32 colt. So atleast he will be able to find ammo, he has never shot it because he couldn't get ammo. I appreciate you checking on that!

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool old gun,

Be careful firing it.
The cylinder has the U-shaped notches, not T shaped, so it may not lock the cylinder in battery.
I have seen several where the cylinder could be rolled out of alignment with the barrel when the hammer was cocked.

bmartin

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Cool old gun,

Be careful firing it.
The cylinder has the U-shaped notches, not T shaped, so it may not lock the cylinder in battery.
I have seen several where the cylinder could be rolled out of alignment with the barrel when the hammer was cocked.
I'll keep an eye on it, I'm not super knowledgeable on the older revolvers, it's been the last two years I started looking at them. I appreciate the warning! I'll have to be on the look out for a T shape notch 38.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The early break open stuff is not known for strength or durability. Lots of hand fitted parts in that era.

Regarding shooting the old stuff.
If you going to shoot obsolete cartridges, get into reloading.
Its not cheap to tool up at the start, but once your set up, it's worth it if you enjoy it.

The nice thing about revolvers, you don't have to chase your brass down to reload it
Rounds like the 32 S&W or 32 Colt are very low pressure, so the brass lasts a long time.
They don't burn much powder either, and can shoot cast lead slugs all day long.
If you cast your own projectiles and reload the cost per round is small.

The harder the shell is to come by, the bigger the cost savings when reloading.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever converted a revolver from a 32 colt to a 32 Sw? Can the cylinder be altered either diy or gun smith? It's very hard to find 32 long or short colt and when I do it's very expensive.
You can make your own from .32 S&W. Helps if you have a lathe, but they're not essential. I'd think at least twice about such a conversion, as the .32 S&W cartridge is more powerful than .32 Colt.