350 Legend performance on deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy just purchased a .223 rifle and has been getting a lot of noise on his phone about 350 Legend and asked me about it.

I told him some states only allow a straight wall cartridge in certain areas and it is some new hyped up round not needed here in Oklahoma.

I did some research on people that do use them in the states that they are beneficial in and found this.
Good reading if you have time to read all the posts and not scroll through.

It will not take 10 minutes to read it all.
https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/threads/doe-v-350-legend.730192/?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest

One thing I noticed with this reading on that link about the 350 legend was 90% of the deer these slow rounds hit the deer runs away.

That tells me the shock trauma is not there.
There are a few that drop in their tracks but most go 40-60 yards or more.
60 yards in thick brush in Oklahoma could mean you may not find your deer.

Some of these did not leave a blood trail until they ran a little way and some did not leave any blood trail.

So counting on a big hole to pour blood is not something to rely on.

Enjoy the reading.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
350 Legend and the new 400 “whatever“ are nothing more than another avenue for ammo and barrel makers to profit. 45/70 has accomplished what these two cartridges do for more than 100 years (a lot like 6.5x55 to 6.5 manbun). It’s my understanding that muzzleloaders are acceptable in many of the straight wall cartridge areas, and with the advances in muzzleloaders specifically smokeless muzzleloaders, it makes these new cartridges more irrelevant.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C’mon man, non of these scenarios allow for an AR platform.
CMMG black powder upper. (don't think it really happened)

1705606492688.png

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the pandemic was in full effect and we had ammo shortages, the only rounds ever on the local Walmart shelves were .350 Legend. I had never heard of one before and was intrigued after my research and almost bought one just for fun.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This post in the link was pretty interesting:

Ballistically speaking, the .350 Legend is comparable and slightly better than the .243.

I would caution that before bashing the .350 that one should realize it would be like going to the Southeast or to the Northeast and telling everyone to stop shooting deer with their .243.

I agree though, in that just like the .243, the .350 has limits and as shooters and hunters we need to know those limitations. The .350 round isn’t designed for 200+ yard shots by an average person with limited range time…

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That 350 is comparable to .243 that some guy in the link stated is hogwash in my mind.
350 and 30-30 comparable would be closer.
I think it's closer to .35 Remington ballistics than anything. Mine is really accurate but I haven't hunted with it yet. It's no long range hammer but up to 150 yards I think it will be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom