40 s&w vs .357 sig for carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i like the 357 sig simply because if the round needs to go through a barrier, windshield, door, etc. it will. and it is most likely to penetrate body armor as well. i am not a fan of 40.

My point exactly. I would bet that most self-defense situations wouldn't require you to penetrate those barriers before striking the BG and you are responsible for the final resting place of those rounds.

I carry Cor-Bon .40. It's hard to beat a .40 that moves at 1,300 feet per second with 533 ft. lbs. behind it.

If you are just looking at velocity and ft/lbs alone, RBDC claims that their "Special Application" ammo for LE/Military in .357 sig is 2,410 fps and 774 flbs WOW (sure it's only a 60 gr bullet :) ) Cor-bon rates their own at higher velocities and energy than the .40 also.

I wouldn't worry about over penetration if you use quality hollow point rounds.
Even though many tests show 16" of penetration through ballistic jello, but I haven't heard any reports of overpenetration despite this. I would be more concerned with "over-penetration" of non-living things.......All in all though, I believe it comes down to this: carry what you are most confident and accurate with.

As for over penatration I wouldn't worry about that either. The secret service and federal air Marshall use it and they will be shooting into crowds of people more than likely. Go with what you feel most comfortable with.

You're assuming THEY CARE. (And I'm sure they do, I've just been listening to too many podcasts about alleged abuses of the BATFE and am lumping other federal agencies together with them.)

Please don't think that I am bashing anyone's posts or opinions. I personally think that both calibers are good (not as good as my .45 ACP :D j/k). Based on my own limited research and opinions of a few friends (OHP), I think that a person should do a little more research before carrying the 357 sig over the other common self-defense calibers.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either caliber will be just fine.

Worry about competence and training, not caliber.

Caliber discussions are silly unless you are a scientist.

Michael Brown

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
357 sig in HP is the way to go for all situations. Too many people think that BG just stands there and shoots, but human nature (unless he is all doped up) is to hide behind something and shoot when projectiles are coming back at you. It is just a reflex to make yourself as small as possible. And just like you he will not stop shooting and run away till he runs out of ammo. 357 Sig can reach around most corners (concrete or rock excluded).

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They say that the 135 grain .40 cals are putting out similar ballistics to .357 mags. Right now I am carrting the 180 grains and I am planning on switching if my gun shoots them well.

Jb