.45 Carry Weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelnc4444

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for a .45 carry weapon. I prefer ultra compact, or at least sub compact. I also prefer a handgun with a hammer, it's a personal preference thing. Oh, and I would like one with at least a 10 round mag. I have found a couple options, the Para Ordnance Warthawg, Bersa has something, XDM, but that is hammer-less, and of course Kimber makes a really nice one, but it only has 7 rounds.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas I could look at? Thanks.

Last edited:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd look at the Pistol sub forum :D

Then I'd look at a Glock 30 if I wanted a compact 10-round 45. And I'm not even really a Glock fan. But it's a perfectly fine sidearm and fits your criteria. The XDm is nice but the .45 compact is 9+1 with a flush fit mag.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of cost effective weapons out there like the Bersa, Kahr, S&W, Ruger, KelTec, Taurus (gulp)... Some are similar to Glock's

There are also a lot of higher priced options like Springfield, Kimber (also gulp), ect... Some are similar to Glock's

And right in the middle of all of them, you'll find perfection... It's called a Glock;)

michaelnc4444

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus now, not a bad gun, but not quite what I want. Though I have nothing against Glocks, they just aren't for me. I will take a look at the Kahr, thanks for the additional ideas.
There are a lot of cost effective weapons out there like the Bersa, Kahr, S&W, Ruger, KelTec, Taurus (gulp)... Some are similar to Glock's

There are also a lot of higher priced options like Springfield, Kimber (also gulp), ect... Some are similar to Glock's

And right in the middle of all of them, you'll find perfection... It's called a Glock;)

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know, Glock's aren't for everyone. I hated the first one I ever shot. Felt like I was grabbing a frickin' brick. Absolutely thought "this will never replace my 1911"

Walked into King's Pawn in Del City in 2010 to buy an XD9, saw this peculiar different looking Glock 17G3 RTF2 (sandpaper pyramid/fishgill slide) and bought it instead. I still hated it until I got used to it. Now I can't see not owning/carrying it now, and absolutely love the Glock line of pistols. I was lucky enough to find a matching framed 19, 22 (though I despise .40S&W), and a 34G3 not knowing that they wouldn't make this amazing frame forever. I'm still trying to get used to the gen4 RTF frame, but in time, I know I'll like it lol

Reaction score
Please dont buy a sub compact 1911 based pistol, officers syndrome is real and if look at the track record of 3.5 inch barreled 1911 pistols its no bueno. The reason.....

Well the main reason is these pistols in 45 caliber all have ramped barrels or supported chambers, they are not needed as the 45 acp case is strong and the round is low pressure anyways, second the ramp causes the barrel to unlock and bed down at a very steep angle which makes feeding a nightmare, third the 45 acp round center line is low in the magazine, which means the round contacts the frame and barrel, which makes the barrel jump forward. Also manufacturers over spring the compact mag's, they assume the gun will be carried and load 90 percent of its life and this causes noise diving in the first round out of the chamber, the spring basically tries to flip the round out the mag more or less. next the shorten recoil stroke causes the pistol to have a very heavy recoil spring which in turn cases timing issues and some other problems.

Glock, Sig, Kahr and other single lug, locking block style pistols are much better options, they dont cam like the 1911 barrel system. I carry a full 5 inch pistol in 9x23, 43oz unloaded, heavy...yes..bulky...yes but does it work 100 percent of the time...yes. I have a kahr in 40 s&w that I carry on the boat when fishing and in the summer months when concealment is more complicated do to weather conditions and clothing.

this rant comes from not only my experience but that of my good friend and mentors 42 years behind a file and former Wilson combat sentinel program manager. Again I build and sell 1911 all day as my bread money, so think about what I am say...if you come to me I wouldn't sell you one.

have fun, good luck +1 check out Kahr they are nice little pistols for the money.

A

Latest posts

Top Bottom