5.7x28 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the little round , even though good sense tells me I shouldn't . Its not as effective as 9mm for self defense IMO and I have watched tons of videos etc which more or less validate that for me. Its super effective as a penetrating round and with the right ammunition yes it zips right through body armor , I want a FN 5.7 pistol pretty badly to go with my PS90 carbine but may end up getting a PSA until I can find an FN. In fact the 5.7 is why I am selling my High Powers .. I think the little cartridge is perfect as a backpack gun for camping and using for dispatching critters as required .

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the little round , even though good sense tells me I shouldn't . Its not as effective as 9mm for self defense IMO and I have watched tons of videos etc which more or less validate that for me. Its super effective as a penetrating round and with the right ammunition yes it zips right through body armor , I want a FN 5.7 pistol pretty badly to go with my PS90 carbine but may end up getting a PSA until I can find an FN. In fact the 5.7 is why I am selling my High Powers .. I think the little cartridge is perfect as a backpack gun for camping and using for dispatching critters as required .
Never ever sell a High Power! How much will you be asking?

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are shooting defensively at 200 yards, you are going to loose because the other person is most likely going to be using a rifle.
You misinterpret me. I mean if it CAN do that, then it's gotta be flat at everything inside 100 which I really like. I don't expect to have to engage with anyone past 100 feet much less 200 yards. I like the capability.

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'll punch through a level IIA vest with most rounds, IIIA you need special rounds for LE only. I have heard rumors that the AP ammo is illegal for non LE folks. Self defense hollowpoint ammo is available but very pricey and is reported to penetrate titanium trauma plates. Of the youtube tests I have seen, it is much more potent than the .22 WMR. Also the 5.7 X 28 is only available in a 5" full size pistol. 9mm offers many much more concealable pistols. If you reload from what I have heard the 5.7 X 28 is very difficult to reload as well. The cartridge case has a polymer coating that rubs off when fired. Ammo is becoming more plentiful and it is an easy shooting round. FN tried to market the FiveseveN to women for a brief time with its light recoil.
That's the thing. Wife hates the recoil of 9mm and I've been interested in 5.7 as a caliber for a while. Really gotta find one for a test drive.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the thing. Wife hates the recoil of 9mm and I've been interested in 5.7 as a caliber for a while. Really gotta find one for a test drive.
The recoil is lighter, and the muzzle blast is minimal in comparison to a .22 WMR (which is spectacular out of a KelTec PMR 30, even at the range.) Really like the S & W M&P 5.7 from reviews I've seen but I really like the FN FiveseveN MRD. The Ruger 5.7 and Palmetto look very nice as well. Only fired a 1st Gen FiveseveN. It's a tack driver. Of the new bunch of 5.7's on the market, the S&W looks to be the thinnest but have not held one yet. I'd have a tough time choosing any 5.7 Pistol at this point. Only downside is the wider grip with the ones I have handled. If this is for your wife make sure she gets to handle one first.

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recoil is lighter, and the muzzle blast is minimal in comparison to a .22 WMR (which is spectacular out of a KelTec PMR 30, even at the range.) Really like the S & W M&P 5.7 from reviews I've seen but I really like the FN FiveseveN MRD. The Ruger 5.7 and Palmetto look very nice as well. Only fired a 1st Gen FiveseveN. It's a tack driver. Of the new bunch of 5.7's on the market, the S&W looks to be the thinnest but have not held one yet. I'd have a tough time choosing any 5.7 Pistol at this point. Only downside is the wider grip with the ones I have handled. If this is for your wife make sure she gets to handle one first.
oh definitely.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PSA has several versions of their "Rock 5.7" pistol on sale for $399. At that price I'd buy one (if I was in the market) and try it out. If I didn't like it it would probably be pretty easy to sell it. But I've heard really good things about them. I'm tempted to buy one of their Rock/10 Magazines bundles and sell the Ruger I have.