5 chores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Somecallmemom posted a link and I found this interesting. They listed 5 chores everyone would have to do after or during shtf.

Dishes
Laundry
Bathing
Cooking
Lawnmowing

My first thoughts are usually "what did gramma do and howd she do it". She was a dirt poor sharecropper, migrant worker, raised before the Great Depression, then raised 8 kids through the depression.

Dishes was done in a wash tub. Access to clean water is a must. Dushes was a few plates n bowls, couple of forks and spoons. Dutch oven and cast iron pans and couple of enamel pots. Not ever enough cups. Couple carbon steel knives.

Laundry was done once a week, but clothes were few. At most ya had couple pair of overalls and 2 shirts. Girls had couple.moo moo type dress things. Kids went bare foot. Men had couple pairs of socks. Men didnt have underwear, women sometimes had bloomers.

She used the big tin washtub or a giant cast iron pig boiling pot. She boiled the clothes, scrubbed them on a washboard with home made lye soap.

Bathing....weekly or monthly depending on weather n season. Pond, creeks, rivers or the washtub. Granpa bathed first, followed by the kids and her last. Bathwater was used ince by everyone. Kinda gross if ya ask me but drawing n heating water was a big deal. Also the used lye soap.

Cooking was simple meals. Usually no meat unless it was wild game or an occasional chicken or pig. Meat just wasnt available usually. Salt pork was a treat. So lotsa beans n biscuits, cornbread and canned greens. Turnips n taters, squirrel, rabbit, turtle and fish. Lotsa lard btw.

Most cooking was usually outside, depending on weather. And she cooked with very small fires.

As for the lawn mowing....most times the homes were 2 or 3 rooms and way small. I bet her old house wasnt 800sq ft. With a family of 10.

Anyway small house, small yard....and they swept the yard down to bare dirt.

Life was hard. Drawing water, gathering woid, cooking, cleaning, sewing, doctoring, and pulling cotton, pickin peaches, apples, gardening.....living was a full time job.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest problems we are going to have after an SHTF situation is water contamination. It's going to happen fast too. people just don't get how important water is.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest problems we are going to have after an SHTF situation is water contamination. It's going to happen fast too. people just don't get how important water is.

Your right. Used to be wells everywhere. Not no more. We are lucky that there are lotsa ponds but thatd be a full time job making it drinkable.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone in my grandma's family did a little biography along with some geneology a few years back to record how life was not so long ago. (even when Dad was living at home they were plowing with horses and drawing water)
The women would be up at the crack of dawn, cooking biscuits and cornbread, after they got the fire going of course. Kids were milking, men taking care of livestock. After breakfast, men and kids went to fields, or whatever work had to be done. (clearing rocks, cutting wood, etc..) Women get to clean up after breakfast, start dinner, then supper. Wash clothes, can vegetables, churn butter, sew, etc. Work lasted from before dawn until well after dark.
Just look at some of those old pictures from say, pre-1940, and see how that life aged folks. We are soft.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benefit of growing up with Mennonite kin... I can cook in candlelight :)

You are right about people being soft. I think most people are so accustomed to the conveniences they take for granted that they will be in for a big shock. Morale will tank & those not prepared for the grind of daily living will be sorely disappointed.

I remember my grandpa always holding my grandma's hands & thanking the good Lord for "these here good workin hans". My great-grandad was a share-cropper & my dad still remembers weaving corn mats for sleeping on.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely agree. My grandparents on my mom's side were hard-working blue collar folks ... My dad's side were fairly well-to-do business owners, but my paternal grandfather knew hard work and never forgot where he came from. My paternal grandmother never lifted a finger to do anything but cause trouble ... lol

I cannot imagine most people today working half as hard as they did. We have it good in this country. It is really too bad that the vast majority of us have no clue just how lucky we are ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom