.500 s&w...whos got one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfoster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have two.

Both are performance center revolvers, a 10" and a 5". The 5" is one of the run that John Ross had made without a muzzle break.

IMO, the revolver without the muzzle break is much more pleasant to shoot, particularly with heavy loads (600-700 grain bullets in the 1200-1400fps range). For me, the noise added by the muzzle break of the 10" revolver shooting a relatively light load (say a 450 grain bullet @ 1700 FPS) is far more punishing than recoil- this despite using both plugs and muffs.

The factory rubber stocks are an abomination on these revolvers: wooden stocks (especially if made for the shooters hand) go a long way in helping to reduce felt recoil ifrom the 500 S&W. Some will see this as counter intuitive, but the way I see it the rubber "gives" too easily- sure this absorbs a bit of energy- but what's left is concentrated in an area not much wider than the backstrap. A well made and good fitting wooden stock distributes recoil over a far larger area of the shooters hand.

And yes, my wife too likes to shoot these...

Bob

Cycklone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW
I shot a NEF in .500 and it isn't bad shooting at all i don't think i was thinking it would be up there with the .308 Lightweight or a 300win HvyBarrel but it wasn't bad at all...
It wasn't even 1/2 of what the 12G with 3" slugs is shot them both same day back to back and the 12G was much more "OUCH".... but maybe it is because i wasn't out shooting the 600gr bullet we only had 325-350's?

Cyck

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and sold it, I just had no use for it. There is a huge range of ammo available, literally from mild (as almost like a 38 spec) to wild (as in almost too hot to hold on to). I forgot the name of the ammo company but I ordered a sample pack that had two rounds of each of their loads.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I shot one of the original 8 3/8" .500 S&W. Wasn't too bad, but I just don't have any reason to have one. I think if I was to buy one, it would be the .460, for the same reason as 1911MQB.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, the revolver without the muzzle break is much more pleasant to shoot, particularly with heavy loads (600-700 grain bullets in the 1200-1400fps range). For me, the noise added by the muzzle break of the 10" revolver shooting a relatively light load (say a 450 grain bullet @ 1700 FPS) is far more punishing than recoil- this despite using both plugs and muffs.
Bob

+1
The only 2 things I dislike about my 4" is the brake/comp and the IL.
Of course the cost of ammo sux but...

Latest posts

Top Bottom