6.5 Grendel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6.5 grendel (speaking from experience) is excellent with 2 caveats.
1. You need to be proficient with 5.56
2. 5.56 is MUCH cheaper to practice with

6.5 Grendel nearly doubles your effective range, nearly doubles your energy at all ranges, over 5.56. It, along with 6mm ARC, are great cartridges to maximize the range of the little AR platform. These are apples and oranges in comparison to 300 AAC.

300 AAC is pointless unless you intend to run subsonic with a supressor. Nearly every cartridge out there offers more punch than 300 AAC, and quite a few that offer greater range. For hunting out to 300 yards (depending on the game, Grendel is great), for hunting at near distances several cartridges offer a great advantage over 556 or even Grendel. 458 SOCOM, 450 BM, and 350 legend all offer huge advantage in energy at near distances.
what about recoil for a younger shooter for say .300 in deer hunting, .350 is something I have shot but not a fan. also not looking to do .458 or .450

big green chopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what about recoil for a younger shooter for say .300 in deer hunting, .350 is something I have shot but not a fan. also not looking to do .458 or .450
All of those "big bore" cartridges will obviously have higher recoil. Grendel and 6mm ARC will have a little more recoil than 556 in my experience, but we are almost splitting hairs there. Some guys probably wont notice the difference unless you point it out. "Full power" 300 AAC rounds will have slightly more recoil than 556 IME. Subsonic 300 AAC which should NOT be used for deer size game, is less recoil than 556.

*Food for thought... full power 300 AAC only offers about 200# more energy than 556. At that point, why not just use 556 and enjoy a much flatter trajectory? And at that point, why not tolerate a tiny bit more recoil and enjoy a much harder hitting Grendel or 6 ARC?

One more note to my speal: At short distances the trajectory of 556 vs 300 AAC will not matter, although the higher velocity of 556 is arguably more damaging than a larger lower velocity round.

Last edited:

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grendel is a great round imo, have killed deer out to 500yds and hit steel out to 950yds. It’s much more cost effective to reload quality ammo for it than buy it. I’ve had great luck with Arcomp powder in it. Lots of guys use tac powder too

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s one of the advantages of the Grendel for younger shooters is the recoil is the same as as standard 5.56 round.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I look at it from the point that the platform was made for a .223 Rem. 5.56 NATO came later but dimensionally it's the same. Every other cartridge that fits, has to have some jiggldy-fck done to the gun to make it work, and they never work flawlessly like 5.56 does. A lot of times really close, but just not the same. There's always a mag issue, round limit, bolt change, gassing issue, etc that affects it. Besides, 5.56 has stacked almost as many bodies as AKs.

Kinda like this:

I’ve always admired the 6.5 Grendel but never had one, for the reasons you stated along with Ammo availability.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife took her first deer with a single shot AAC .300 using Barnes Vortxx Ammo. A friend turned me onto that rifle and Ammo combo, and it’s an extremely accurate and deadly combination on deer, hogs, and coyote. Recoil is negligible.

I have only limited experience with .300 in ARs. No complaints, but I’ve always gone back to 5.56 for that platform.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a 6.5 Grendel AR for my daughter to hunt with, in my opinion they are perfect for kids. Adjustable stock to fit them perfect, light weight, low recoil with an adjustable gas block...

Latest posts

Top Bottom