6.5 Grendel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I look at it from the point that the platform was made for a .223 Rem. 5.56 NATO came later but dimensionally it's the same. Every other cartridge that fits, has to have some jiggldy-fck done to the gun to make it work, and they never work flawlessly like 5.56 does. A lot of times really close, but just not the same. There's always a mag issue, round limit, bolt change, gassing issue, etc that affects it. Besides, 5.56 has stacked almost as many bodies as AKs.

Kinda like this:

Last edited:

Chris Harrison

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot mostly my own hand loads and Hornady ELD Black Match. The latter is difficult to find right now and expensive when you do. That being said, I really like the 6.5 Grendel a lot. I don't hunt with it as it's big (for an AR15) and was built as a precision unit. I've engaged steel out to a little past 1,000 yards with the Grendel and the trajectory with a 123 grain ELD is almost identical to the Federal Gold Match .308 with a 168 grain SMK. If you are good with buying in bulk, you can certainly save some money. I've come across two different sights lately that are offering up 500 rounds of the Hornady ammo for $400 + shipping.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot mostly my own hand loads and Hornady ELD Black Match. The latter is difficult to find right now and expensive when you do. That being said, I really like the 6.5 Grendel a lot. I don't hunt with it as it's big (for an AR15) and was built as a precision unit. I've engaged steel out to a little past 1,000 yards with the Grendel and the trajectory with a 123 grain ELD is almost identical to the Federal Gold Match .308 with a 168 grain SMK. If you are good with buying in bulk, you can certainly save some money. I've come across two different sights lately that are offering up 500 rounds of the Hornady ammo for $400 + shipping.
I went to academy south okc they had black for $29.99 4 box limit

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please share a link. I'm interested at that price.

big green chopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6.5 grendel (speaking from experience) is excellent with 2 caveats.
1. You need to be proficient with 5.56
2. 5.56 is MUCH cheaper to practice with

6.5 Grendel nearly doubles your effective range, nearly doubles your energy at all ranges, over 5.56. It, along with 6mm ARC, are great cartridges to maximize the range of the little AR platform. These are apples and oranges in comparison to 300 AAC.

300 AAC is pointless unless you intend to run subsonic with a supressor. Nearly every cartridge out there offers more punch than 300 AAC, and quite a few that offer greater range. For hunting out to 300 yards (depending on the game, Grendel is great), for hunting at near distances several cartridges offer a great advantage over 556 or even Grendel. 458 SOCOM, 450 BM, and 350 legend all offer huge advantage in energy at near distances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom