6.5x55...anybody recommend a good hunting load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer mooner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought a 6.5 Swede last week. I'm fairly new to reloading and so far have just reloaded handgun rounds, mostly 9mm. It seems like the 6.5 Swede would be great caliber to reload for, especially since I have one now.
The rifle I bought has a FN Mauser 98 large ring action with a fairly new Parker Hale barrel. I have a Swaro 3x9 to mount on it but I haven't yet. This is my new deer rig and was hoping someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction to work up a good hunting round.

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I hand loaded for my 6.5 X 55, I used 42 gr of IMR 4895, and a Hornady 140 gr sp bullet.
That shot to the same point of impact as the Federal factory ammo I had been using.
I also shot a deer at about 100 yds with the handloaded ammo. I hit it high in the chest on the side, and the bullet went completely through without expanding.
My brother-in-law had previously hit it low in the chest with his .30-30. After I shot it too,it ran quite a ways before he found it.
Rick W

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what the muzzle velocity was. I didn't chronograph it, and I don't have a reloading manual to estimate it.
The first deer I shot was with the 6.5 and factory ammo. I hit it in the neck at about 50 yds. The bullet hit the spine, and expanded quite well. It was a one-shot kill.
I think the load I was using for the second deer was adequate. I just need to shoot better!
Rick W

Latest posts

Top Bottom