6mm Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If it's somewhat obscure or uncommon, I've probably got one :) Really like shooting the Model 7 6mm that was my dad's it's short, weighs nothing, 18" barrel, made one year only in 1984 and likes just about everything that's been run through it. It was dad's Wyoming antelope, mule deer, prairie dog one gun go to rifle.

I didn't know that about the 6mm model 7. I know where one is. Guess I need to let the guy know what he has.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and lost interest in it. Pretty sure I have some brass and dies laying around somewhere. See if I can find them.

I suffer from Nomophobia.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's formed from 7x57 brass though right? Where am I gonna find that?

Seems I have too many brass projects aside from the expected duties that come with reloading. I "glocked" a bunch of my 10mm brass trying to push it too hard. So the full length sizing die is on the way. Turning perfectly good .223 into .300blk (not for me), now I'm gonna cut up some good 7x57. Why not? Lol

I think I still have an un-opened bag of 6mm brass left from my last Rem 742 which was in 6mm. If you find one, shoot me a pm on the brass. Good luck with it. Brass availability was what made me keep on with the 243, not quite as easy to reach the top numbers with 243 as with the 6mm, but I don't generally shoot for the hottest loads nowdays anyway.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is a Remington 700 BDL carbine mfg in 1962 - first year for the 700. It has a 20" barrel; I don't know if they made any in '64 or not - 1963 may have been the last year for the carbine.
Seems strange to hear the 6mm refered to as an obsolete cartridge - 40 years ago it was really popular with gun nuts. Had a longer neck and a little more powder capacity which appealed to reloaders. The 6mm was originally the 244 Remington chambered in the Remington 722 with a slower twist than the .243- Remington envisioned it as strictly a varmint caliber for 80 grain bullets and it wouldn't stabilize the 100 grain bullet like the .243 did. Remington gave their rifle a faster twist and renamed the cartridge the 6mm Remington.

My old rifle has a 3X-9X Leupold Vari-X III and is my standby for deer and coyotes.

Cedar Creek

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Components aren't hard to find for 6mm - brass is usually available from Cabela's, Bass Pro, Midway, etc. Shell holder is RCBS #3 like .30-06, etc. Ballistics of 6mm are just about identical to the .243 WSSM. I also have a Browning A-Bolt .243 WSSM that is super accurate also.

Cedar Creek

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Components aren't hard to find for 6mm - brass is usually available from Cabela's, Bass Pro, Midway, etc. Shell holder is RCBS #3 like .30-06, etc. Ballistics of 6mm are just about identical to the .243 WSSM. I also have a Browning A-Bolt .243 WSSM that is super accurate also.

Cedar Creek

Exactly ^^^^ I have a 243WSSM AR. Just 100fps faster than the same weight bullet in .243.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone have an approximate value on older remington 700 in 6mm?

i know there many contributing factors, but a nice ballpark would be fine. GB seems to be all over the place, but very high (imo)

Edit: It has a k for the year, maybe 1963? The barrel is around 22".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom