A Cabin Full of Food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok let's try this again ...

This is the book I desperately needed when I first became one of "those" people.

It is mostly recipes, using items either grown (or in the case of animal products, nurtured) at home and those kept in long term storage. She doesn't spend 15 pages on "attagirls" and "how I got here" stories. In fact her Introduction is half a page long.

This book is a very well written guide meant to reduce your dependence on the grocery store. Nothing in this book requires electricity as long as you have a cool place to keep fresh foods. Nothing uses a microwave, food processor, blender or bread machine. If you are processing your own foods a good dehydrator (can be solar or electric), a pressure canner, a water bath canner, a food strainer, a meat grinder, a mortar and pestle and an egg beater are the only pieces of equipment you will need -- along with a sharp set of knives.

There is a calendar that outlines seasonal products and chores, generally speaking, and a 3 month food storage plan for one person. This allows you to use basic math to extrapolate how much you need to have put back, at minimum, for your family.

The rest of the book is recipes -- some will be familiar to you, some will be made with foods that store well but are foods not necessarily common in American cuisine. (She is Canadian IIRC.)

The Table of Contents and the Index are exhaustive. If you saw a recipe in this book but can't remember exactly where you found it, you will be able to find it quickly and easily.

All in all, that row of cookbooks and "prepper" books on the back edge of my kitchen counter just got a LOT shorter because this book has made several other books obsolete.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom