A casualty of the oil bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yaa I knew that. I was only wondering about these 700 because this threads Original Post has to do with Devons losses. And those 14K job losses didnt occur in one day or even one week. Just sayin...

Nah, that's not what this thread is about. Once Raul posts in a thread, it's about Mexicans or pot. Sorry OP.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched your video, Gonzo. I watched it in your Downtown Tulsa thread, too. Just as fun the second time around. It didn't cite the percentage of misclassified illegal workers nor their overall effect on the wages of legal workers (which you made implications about).

Listen, you're the one who came in here poking your erect, veiny, illegal immigrant agenda into a thread about a member's wife being laid off from an energy company.

I'll concede this one. It won't hurt my feelings. I forgot how mind-numbing this debate is. One side cites Borjas, CIS, and The Heritage Foundation and the other cites government provided statistics. Perpetual.

You win, but while you sit up there in Fat City praying to ye gods for audits, you might lift up the name of the man in this thread who said he employs over half a dozen illegal immigrants off the books and pays with cash.

Haha....In the downtown Tulsa thread he got real quiet, or rather had no proof of illegals being paid under the table on downtown projects. He might do better with that argument pertaining to smaller "businesses" or in this thread....individuals.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bad thing about staying employed until late in the bust, is most decent jobs are gone early.

I don't like to see anyone lose a job when they do good work.

Some people have skills that are salable somewhere else, just for less money. Others aren't so lucky.

But I guess that's all true when you catch any industry in down turn mode.

As in the '80s downturn, there will be people who never get back to work in the oil field, some will re-invent themselves and some will struggle.

State, county and city budgets will all get up ended.

It's like ripples in the pond,who knows what it will really cost Oklahomans, but, all do benefit from lower fuel prices.

As for the OP, just try to make it out the other side, that's all anyone does anyway.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can the OKC area work force absorb 700 people looking for work? Is OKC like Tulsa in trying to diversify its economy to areas outside of the energy industry? I have friends and relatives there and my grandfather was a big mover and shaker there in the 60s but he passed away in the 80s when I was in highschool so I dont really know much about the town lately. (Sorry if these are dumb questions but my stepdaughter is planning to move there after graduating OSU).

I wouldn't expect many of them to find jobs with comparable pay and benefits especially the technical staff. My department lost 4 technical people and 2 support staff.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect many of them to find jobs with comparable pay and benefits especially the technical staff. My department lost 4 technical people and 2 support staff.

Same with my wife's company. They have gone through the machinists and are getting into the tech staff now. They wiped out the whole IT department, and have opted to go with a foreign tech support.

Latest posts

Top Bottom