A couple of Swedish babes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not great pics but I've been messing around with a couple of Swedish babes. Both M38 Husqvarnas, one sported out but rebarrelled in the original 6.5x55 and the other in its military configuration. Both were obtained from OSA members so thanks, guys!

ai655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT0958.jpg

ai655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT0959.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I see the second one was used for training purposes. What years are stamped on those two specimens, and how much do either of those match?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I see the second one was used for training purposes. What years are stamped on those two specimens, and how much do either of those match?

The sporter is a '41 and the original is a '42. The actions of both rifles are numbers matching and the buttplate on the '42 matches the action number.

ai655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT0960.jpg

The Swedish Mausers are a work of art. I wish my camera\lighting was better.

ai655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT0961.jpg

How do you tell the '42 was used for training? I'm curious. And Leighton, you bet!!!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Swedish Mausers are a work of art. I wish my camera\lighting was better.

You're not kidding about this! M96's are one of my top 3 favorite milsurp rifles ;)

How do you tell the '42 was used for training? I'm curious.

The modern flash hider threaded onto the muzzle. Originally, the Swedes threaded the muzzles of some of their M96's and M38's so a BFA (blank firing adapter) could be screwed on:

apics.gunbroker.com_GB_147075000_147075962_pix530250484.gif

Then trainees assigned these rifles could fire wooden bullets that shattered against the inside of the BFA. Theoretically, this was safer for recruits than live ammo, but I'm not sure I'd want to be anywhere near those flying splinters of wood :uhh:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're not kidding about this! M96's are one of my top 3 favorite milsurp rifles ;)

The modern flash hider threaded onto the muzzle. Originally, the Swedes threaded the muzzles of some of their M96's and M38's so a BFA (blank firing adapter) could be screwed on.

Then trainees assigned these rifles could fire wooden bullets that shattered against the inside of the BFA. Theoretically, this was safer for recruits than live ammo, but I'm not sure I'd want to be anywhere near those flying splinters of wood :uhh:

Ok, that's what I thought but thank you for clearing it up. Yes, it does have the threaded barrel and currently has the flash hider in place. I've thought about getting some of the wood ammo just for fun.

One interesting tidbit is that the sporter rifle has such a tight chamber, it won't chamber surplus Swede military ammo and is very finicky about most commercial ammo. It will be a handloading affair but that's no problem.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.5x55 is one my Favorite calibers!!!!
I had a custom mauser as a kid, it "was" my brothers and the worthless POS sold it for drugs.....
I look for it at every gun show I go to as I could recognize it across the room.

I remember shooting at all sorts of stuff with it and the best miss I've ever had was a coyote at a "LONG" way away with my dad watching! the dust few up just next to him and he got out of dodge..

Enjoy yours!!!!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.5x55 is one my Favorite calibers!!!!

I researched the round quite a bit while contemplating the sporter. I couldn't find a single person on every forum I visited that had a negative thing to say about the 6.5x55 and most just went on and on about it. Once I got the sporter I became very interested in an original. Now I need to work up some loads and have fun with them!

Too bad on losing the Swede you had in your younger days! Who knows, maybe you'll spot it one day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom