A Crack In The NCAA Dam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Major college football and men's basketball student-athletes could be in line for paydays worth thousands of dollars once they leave school after a landmark ruling Friday that might change the way the NCAA does business.
A federal judge ruled that the NCAA can't stop players from selling the rights to their names, images and likenesses, striking down NCAA regulations that prohibit players from getting anything other than scholarships and the cost of attendance at schools.

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken, in a 99-page decision that followed a contentious three-week trial in June, ruled in favor of former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon and 19 others who sued the NCAA, claiming it violated antitrust laws by conspiring with the schools and conferences to block the athletes from getting a share of the revenues generated from the use of their images in broadcasts and video games. The injunction she issued allows players at big schools to have money generated by television contracts put into a trust fund to pay them when they leave.

"The Court finds that the challenged NCAA rules unreasonably restrain trade in the market for certain educational and athletic opportunities offered by NCAA Division I schools," Wilken wrote.

Wilken rejected the NCAA's arguments in defense of its economic model, saying the "justifications that the NCAA offers do not justify this restraint and could be achieved through less restrictive means" while preserving college sports competition.

In a partial victory for the NCAA, though, Wilken said it could set a cap on the money paid to athletes for use of their names and images, as long as it allows $5,000 per athlete per year of competition for players at big football and basketball schools. Individual schools could offer less money, she said, but only if they don't unlawfully conspire among themselves to set those amounts.

That means Football Bowl Subdivision players and Division I basketball players who are on rosters for four years potentially could get around $20,000 when they leave school. Wilken said she set the $5,000 annual threshold to balance the NCAA's fears about huge payments to players.

"The NCAA's witnesses stated that their concerns about student-athlete compensation would be minimized or negated if compensation was capped at a few thousand dollars per year," Wilken wrote.

The compensation will be paid into a trust fund. However, if a school does not try to sell anything with the players' names, images and likenesses, there will be no money to pay into the trust fund. A player then would be limited to his cost-of-attendance scholarship.

Any payments to athletes would not be immediate. The ruling said regulations on pay will not take effect until the start of the next FBS football and Division I basketball recruiting cycle. Wilken said they will not affect any prospective recruits before July 1, 2016.

More
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=11328442

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if EA sports will try and start using players likenesses again. They were going to put a stop to using real teams and real players because of all this(IIRC).

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$5,000/year limit? Please. I'd like to see that number doubled for these guys. The average new car costs more than that now.

This kind of stuff to me is hot/cold. I agree with the ruling but not with the terms. Obama "We will enact harsh sancstions against Russia (yeaaahhhhhh!!!)", Sanctions are underwhelming. Gives me the same kind of reaction.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always found it wildly hypocritical that players couldn't make money on their names, but the NCAA could make money selling their names on jerseys.
I could he wrong but I Dont remember seeing players names on jerseys for sale. Just the numbers. Either way I think this is good.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$5,000/year limit? Please. I'd like to see that number doubled for these guys. The average new car costs more than that now.

This kind of stuff to me is hot/cold. I agree with the ruling but not with the terms. Obama "We will enact harsh sancstions against Russia (yeaaahhhhhh!!!)", Sanctions are underwhelming. Gives me the same kind of reaction.
How much rent does Obama pay to live inside your mind 24x7 ?
This is about NCAA football rules.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That is $5k a year limit with a 4 year paid "cost of attendance" scholarship. The cost of attendance thing is where the money will be. Schools are going to justify so much money for cost of attendance it will just be ridiculous. A friend of mine who played college football in the 70's suggested that you pay them an hourly wage. It can be minimum wage or a little higher. They will get that wage for attending class, attending practice and meetings and such. If you miss out you do not get paid for those hours.

Most of these kids get out of the scholarship what they put into it. If they want to be successful at football and academics they are. If they only pass enough classes to be stay eligible then they reap what they sow. Yes the scholarship model needs to change, however some of the stuff that people want will severely screw up collegiate sports.

I am surprised that so many here at OSA support this redistribution of wealth plan.

On a side note when will the soccer players and wrestlers start taking the schools to court for not being treated equally. What about the women's basketball teams? Title IX anyone?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much money as College Football generates for the schools has always made me wonder why the athletes aren't just out and out paid. A real salary comensurate with the value of what they bring in to the school. Let the athletes negotiate with the school, get signing bonuses, performance bonuses just like they'll do when their eligibility runs out and they go to the NFL.

I don't imagine that's a real popular stand though. Never have understood why. The common explanation I've received is the athletes are there to get an education 1st and be an athlete 2nd. Yeah! Riiiiiight!

Latest posts

Top Bottom