A few pictures from the woods...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent some time over the last couple of days clearing fallen trees and brush-hogging the "holler", where I deer hunt. The majority of the property is steep, wooded ridges, save for this 60acre hollow that was cleared with axes and mules over 100 years ago. The scenery is not as good as it is in the fall, but it still looks good to me.:thumb:

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_002.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_003.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_011.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_017.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_025.jpg

Below is the hand dug well on the property that dates to the late 1800's I'm told.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_024.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_023.jpg

This is my new "deer highway". I walked in front of my hunting buddy to spot for him, and he followed me up this cut the forestry guys made with their dozer several years ago to put out a fire and brush-hogged me a path all the way down the side of this ridge. It is about 80 feet up the side a 400 foot ridge, and the deer often trail that "terrace" I shot my best buck of the side of the same ridge, and it is often productive. There was a nice rub line on it last year. Deer will often take the path of least resistance, so cutting a trail the undergrowth should steer them past my stand which, needless to say I'm moving within bow range of the trail.

We used to never get the undergrowth like this, until these recent rainy years we have had. Pictures form today an 2006 look like totally different places, all the undergrowth hs occured in the last 3 years. I am learning to use it to my advantage, as much as I hate walking through the stuff

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_026.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_030.jpg

Here you can kind of see the field about 80 feet below the shelf the trail is on. The ridge increases about 400-500 feet above (behind the camera) that, all large oak and cottonwood.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_031.jpg

Needless to say, If I didn't have to come back I wouldn't. I could goof off there for hours, just exploring.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That hollow looks good for a food plot.

Yeah, we plant sometimes, but often just brush hog and call it good, they still feed out there all winter.

The farmer let the cows in it on a couple years ago right after our food plots came up. There was alot of happy cows, but we were not quite as happy. They ate the whole place to the ground in no time, ha ha. It's funny now I guess.

So we usually just hog it now.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where about is this? I have a friend that has 160 acres. He has an old well on his place that was listed on a national historic register of some sort. It was a stopping/watering hole on the way to Fort Smith. The wagon ruts are supposed to still be there. I'm going to check it out next time I go out there.

Cool pics and looks like a great place.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds similar, probably in the same general area. There are quite a few of these old wells in eastern Ok, and alot of them were dug in the same time period. Most are hidden or destroyed, but you can see a couple from the road now and then. I can see 2 more from the road within 20 miles of this one that look the similar. There were more on the property in the past, but they have been filled in or just fell in, this is the only one left there I think

This well was dug later than the Ft. Smith wagon road days, I've heard it used to supply a store with water, or just the turn of the century farmers dug it.

Seems more likely the farmers dug it, but who knows. They are cool though.

Every old thing around has a million stories about it. Can't sort out which ones true sometimes, but they make good stories around the fire on cold nights, tying to stay awake until the the potatoes get soft in the coals or the stew gets done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom