A Nightmare In Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After misdiagnosing the rona to a 6 year old that died, it was soon confirmed a rare brain eating amoeba had found its way into the public water supply in Lake Jackson, TX.

It normally develops in lakes, ponds, and moist soils, but after testing several indoor faucets across the small town of 27k, it was confirmed.

Best case scenario is, they'll have the parasite killed off in plumbing and the drinking water will be safe for shampooing hair/brushing teeth in six months.

That has to suck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't swam in lakes or ponds for many years. We had a kid in Ponca die from this while swimming in Kaw lake a few years ago.
I understand it's extremely rare, but If I don't do it, its not an issue for me just like leaving a perfectly operating airplane with a silk scarf on my back. LOL.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't swam in lakes or ponds for many years. We had a kid in Ponca die from this while swimming in Kaw lake a few years ago.
I understand it's extremely rare, but If I don't do it, its not an issue for me just like leaving a perfectly operating airplane with a silk scarf on my back. LOL.

I remember that. It's kept me out of summer lake waters for a long time

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm with Dennis on this one. I would never jump out of a perfectly good aircraft into some steenkin' pond wearing a silk scarf.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Lake Murray had a couple of cases. I think the last one 10-12 years ago I think. We kept going though. It develops in stagnant water particularly in coves after weeks of no rain or fresh water.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on Gents, where is your sense of adventure? We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I'm still "adventuring" to a degree. Still getting out and about to see new places.

Hopefully, I'll have some good photos of South Dakota in the next week or so. Heading up there on the 12th to visit Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, the Black Hills, and some other places as well. Even have a day trip planned to drive up to Devil's Tower in Wyoming.

I might be in my 70's, but I'm still exploring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom