About to buy a tactical bolt gun, suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure what your budget is for this build but I have a suggestion. If you are going to buy a Remington 700 and balance and blueprint the action, change stock, barrel and trigger, then add bottom metal, you might consider going with a custom action instead. When you add everything together the price difference between the two is not all that great. Surgeon, Stiller, Lawton, all make great actions. I have a Surgeon 591 that is rock solid. My $.02.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might want to try an older Rem 700 Sendero in 308 or 300WM. Mount a decent scope on it and shoot groups for accuracy with good match ammo (Like Fed Gold Label 175gr). Might be surprised at the accuracy you get. If so, put a trigger of choice and glass that you can afford on it and call it done.

If wanting to re-create an M-40, check over at Snipers Hide forum. I recall a number of accurate re-creation postings.

Spending money is fun and of course, accurate rifles are interesting, but you don't always have to spend a pile of cash to get a rifle that'll shoot .5-.75 MOA from a rest. Aquiring the skill to call wind and consistantly shoot that good from a cold barrel costs the most.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trick to building a Remington is to use as little Remington parts as possible ... the best are built with absolutely NONE!

I am not sure what your budget is for this build but I have a suggestion. If you are going to buy a Remington 700 and balance and blueprint the action, change stock, barrel and trigger, then add bottom metal, you might consider going with a custom action instead. When you add everything together the price difference between the two is not all that great. Surgeon, Stiller, Lawton, all make great actions. I have a Surgeon 591 that is rock solid. My $.02.

:urwelcome:

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you want a Remington, but it just sounds like a lot of work for what you could get out-of-the-box with a Savage Hog Hunter in .308. All you'd need do is add optics, and a stock, really, and you can get crazy with the rest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom