AC theft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the scrap yards won't deal with copper or aluminium cause the thieves will sell it to one, go back at night and steal it then sell it to the other.

Wow. I scrap quite a bit. Have several that I deal with around town. I usually call for the best price.

Who gave it up? I haven't heard of any, I deal with that that gave up copper or aluminum. Some have signs that they won't take copper unless you have a "scrapper" license ( whatever that is) or a trade license. I've never had them ask for my HVAC license though.

Just curious, guess I'll find out. Always cash in right before Christmas with my stash.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a lincoln Ac225 some 6011 rod and some steel and build your own cages much cheaper.
If you do not know how to weld i can almost guarantee after the first cage you will have it figured out.

Buy the welder and steel used and sell welder when done for the same as you paid for it.
or save it and make many things.

I've done the same thing for my neighbors that need surgery. Plenty of youtube videos on how to take an appendix out or repair a hernia. I usually buy my surgical supplies off of ebay or craigslist. Drugs we get on the street or order from a source in mexico. Then I sell it all. Much easier to do it yourself then hire a professional.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I scrap quite a bit. Have several that I deal with around town. I usually call for the best price.

Who gave it up? I haven't heard of any, I deal with that that gave up copper or aluminum. Some have signs that they won't take copper unless you have a "scrapper" license ( whatever that is) or a trade license. I've never had them ask for my HVAC license though.

Just curious, guess I'll find out. Always cash in right before Christmas with my stash.
My information is a couple years old now but the one on south railroad south of Lee was the one that I knew of for sure and he said a few others did not as well. He was actually in the process of selling his place to another company but would run it last I heard so that may have all changed as well there.

You might only lose one unit, but they will find another place next time!

Or set it on a rubber mat and make sure it can't ground itself out and electrify the whole unit. . . must have been a short in that thing officer:anyone:

moller72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one office we have installed low pressure switches and hooked up to alarms on all 6 units for the $50 a unit it has been well worth it for the building owner. He has had his units stolen about 3 times before we installed these and he got the alarms they have tried to steal them once since this happened they cut all the lines and released freon but alarms went off and scared the thieves away now he wants us to install cages on them all.

The scrapyards could cut off all the thieves because if you ask me it's obvious who most of them are when they come in with shiny new rolls of copper and a couple condenser coils. I have only seen a scrapyard stop a guy once and he was bringing in an aluminum boat with the state tags on it other then that they let them bring in everything. The scrapyards always require me to show them my hvac license but only because I have over so much weight in copper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom