Accuracy issues with bull barrel rock river arms ar15- Tulsa ar builder to trust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 30-06 that hated boat tail bullets.
Flat base were fine.
Stretch it to 200 yards and you see the big issue with this rifle and boat tails.
I re crowned it and it loved boat tails after that.
Some barrels whip more than others and I have found short barrels are not as finicky when it comes to a good load.

The worst grouping ammo i have shot from my Axis .223 was Hornady Zombie max.
That runs the 55gr Z-max bullet which is the same as the V-Max but with a different colored tip.

I set the factory ammo Z-Max bullets longer by driving them forward with inertia and then seating them to where this rifle liked them when i hand loaded the V-max.
It then grouped better than any factory ammo.

You got a used rifle No real known condition and just know is sucks in the accuracy department for the ammo you have used.
You may need to drive farther than Tulsa area to find someone to work/look it over.
@SPDguns may be able to fix you up or know someone.

Or get some tools of your own and get after it.
I hate the idea of having to rely on someone else to do things for me .

You may be crippled though i do not know.

czechnolike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20231229_214800514.jpg
    IMG_20231229_214800514.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 0

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure you can see it all that well. No obvious issues

I’d have that crowned with a recessed crown. Also, if you get a torque wrench and tool, you can make sure the tension is correct. Or perhaps, you haven’t found the right factory load yet that it likes or perhaps may need to hand load for it. A set of go/no go chamber gauges may not be a bad idea either. And one of those flexible cameras might prove handy.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crown looks good. I would think if you tried 13 different types of ammo a few of them would have been good quality soooo....... If the barrel isn't loose by grabbing it and shaking it by hand it isn't going to get better by torquing the barrel properly. It doesn't matter how much play is between the upper and lower, it doesn't matter much about headspace unless it is dropping out primers, or any of the other "fixes" that have been bandied about.
Recrowning costs around 75-120 depending on who and where, and from the sounds of it, it probably won't fix it. A new good quality barrel is around 250-400 depending on what or who you go with. After trying to salvage questionable barrels a few times I came to the conclusion of if it doesn't shoot well right away with a good grade of ammo, yank it out and get another one. Life is too short to be wasting time screwing around with trying to get it to shoot, and more than likely be out the cost of all the stuff you tried to make it shoot.

czechnolike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Well crown looks good. I would think if you tried 13 different types of ammo a few of them would have been good quality soooo....... If the barrel isn't loose by grabbing it and shaking it by hand it isn't going to get better by torquing the barrel properly. It doesn't matter how much play is between the upper and lower, it doesn't matter much about headspace unless it is dropping out primers, or any of the other "fixes" that have been bandied about.
Recrowning costs around 75-120 depending on who and where, and from the sounds of it, it probably won't fix it. A new good quality barrel is around 250-400 depending on what or who you go with. After trying to salvage questionable barrels a few times I came to the conclusion of if it doesn't shoot well right away with a good grade of ammo, yank it out and get another one. Life is too short to be wasting time screwing around with trying to get it to shoot, and more than likely be out the cost of all the stuff you tried to make it shoot.
That's what I am thinking. White oak, shillen, Wilson. 300 to 500 really isn't much to improve or test.
Now a question of length, threaded or not, etc . Really like the lower and trigger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom