AK suggestion for a newbee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any suggestions for an AK for a newbee. Been looking at the Ar's but a little high and I don't like the issue of having to replace parts if i decide to run the gun hard. I plan on using it for plinking, personal defense, and SHTF (not home defense).

Who in the OKC area handles them at a reasonable price?

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arsenal, Vector, Saiga, Rifle Dynamics. Basically, if you can handle it(check for sight/gas block alignment), any AK will do. As long as the GB and front and rear sight assemblies are in line, all differences are purely in cosmetic finish.

ar15.com and warriortalk.com have good AK boards (I say "good", because you have to wade through some "hooah!" BS in both places that ignores advances in sights and stocks.)

Any gun you "run hard" will need parts replacement eventually. A spare FCG, extractor, FP and springs are the essentials for the AK.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same as above. An AK is an AK. The differences you see are mostly cosmetic and milled vs. stamped. On a plinker that hardly ever makes a noticeable difference.

Get you hands on it and check if the front site and gas system are in line. Can be a huge PITA if they are not.

Other then that if you want one to learn on get a cheapy Romanian wasr 10 or a Saiga. Check it good. Go low and learn then if you like it trade it in for a KVAR or Arsenal.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You won't have to replace broken parts on your AR anymore then you would on an AK. Especially for the $1k price range you stated you had.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big Boys Guns has a Romy WASR10for 479.00 or I may get the K-Bar SGL21 (Saiga) - Black Stockset Russian made stamped receiver, 7.62x39 cal. What are the opinions?

If I go with the Siaga who can I get in the Moore area to do the transfer?

Latest posts

Top Bottom