Alternate uses for expired veg. oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything I thought of when I saw the thread title has already been listed ... so ... I've got nothing to bring to the table ... :(

Dangit. You were the one person I was hoping would have some brilliant yet simple "why didn't I think of that" use for it.

Anyone tried a vegetable oil lantern/lamp?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dangit. You were the one person I was hoping would have some brilliant yet simple "why didn't I think of that" use for it.

Anyone tried a vegetable oil lantern/lamp?

Actually, I have tried the lamp thing. It works pretty good. Not real bright, but you can use metal to reflect the light and make it a bit stronger. Let me do some looking around and see if there is something out there that we're missing ... I haven't been over on the survival forums lately -- too much doom and gloom ... :rolleyes2 But I'll look this evening and post what I find ... :naughty: (I'm not above a little plagarism every now and again ... :D)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sure makes a great firestarter when out of soft woods for the wood burning stove. A few paper towels half-soaked, and bois d'arc is fully ignited by the time the vegetable oil burns out.

I also half-soaked paper towels in the bottom of my chimney starter for my charcoal grill. No bad taste from lighter fluid, and no having to replace the initial starting material because it just wasn't enough to get the charcoal going for whatever reason the first time.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Highest BTU of any wood in the forest.

Yep. And the branches break off in every minor ice storm around here, leaving me with access to a lot of it for free from friends who tell me "if it's on the ground, it's yours".

One 12" x 4" (measured as split) log lasts 2.5-3 hours and keeps the trailer at a nice and toasty 70-80F when below zero out depending on distance from stove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom