Amazon vs Local Retailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where is a local business anymore? Other than my small pharmacy and a little grocery store, I know none.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for - they are out there. Now, I say "local" I shop a lot at my "local" Ace Hardware. No, the company is not local, but the owner is, and I am on a first named basis with many of the folks that run the store. So yes, there is some challenges.

On another note - when a box store is my option: wife and daughter like Target over Walmart due to the cleanliness or organization of the store. If it is just me, I'll go to Walmart over Target because they do still carry guns and hunting (even though I am not there for that); but the weirdo's are just so abundant there - it's weird. What scares me, and I think of it often is - I sure hope I am not fitting in there. :rotflmao:

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also - if I find I need to go to a boxed lumber store I have traditionally be a Lowes shopper, not even sure why. But I have recently switched - Lowes never seem to have a cashier open, it is all self-checkout anymore. Look, I'll do shelf check, not my preferred, but I will do it - but by golly, at least give me an option. So, although what I spent at Lowes won't even move their needle, I am now a Home Depot guy - they will get my eight visits a year now. Caleb at Cornerstone Ace gets my first shot every time.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also - if I find I need to go to a boxed lumber store I have traditionally be a Lowes shopper, not even sure why. But I have recently switched - Lowes never seem to have a cashier open, it is all self-checkout anymore. Look, I'll do shelf check, not my preferred, but I will do it - but by golly, at least give me an option. So, although what I spent at Lowes won't even move their needle, I am now a Home Depot guy - they will get my eight visits a year now. Caleb at Cornerstone Ace gets my first shot every time.

My wife prefers Lowes, too. I told her that's because Lowes is Home Depot for chicks.

Lowes never seemed to have what I wanted or it wasn't convenient. I spend more than my share of $$ at the HD in Ada. But I gotta be honest...that store's kind of a PITA. It seems they never have what I need...and I'm talking about pretty common stuff. I still like shopping there but it's frustrating at times. Most of the people there are pretty helpful, too. And there are a few OSA members that work there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hint-hint - Merry Christmas, right. You're a slick cookie... :laugh6:

To be truthful, you might be surprised by my answer. Yes, for years I have told people that I chose it that way because I could buy one gift and two cards.

In reality, I was stationed in Pakistan in the Army in the '60's and was due to return to the U.S. in September after 14 months and 10 days. However, we wanted to get married when I returned and not all of the family could come in September. So, I extended my tour for 2 more months to go home in November for Thanksgiving, thinking that maybe they could all be there for that. No go, so I extended another month to return in December, so Christmas day it was, and all the family could be there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom