Amish Bread Recipe for Just Stan ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and anybody else who wants it. I swear to you guys, this is the absolute best white bread on the planet!

A couple of tips before you start:

1. Be sure and knead it for the whole 10 minutes. Be sure not to knead it any longer than 10 minutes. Set the timer before you start kneading.

2. Do not cut the bread until it is cool. I know, I know, I know ... But if you make this into loaves and then cut them while they are hot you will just have to eat the whole thing ... :lookaroun :nono1:;)

3. If you store the bread on a nonporous surface, with the cut side down, covered with a cotton cloth, it will not go stale. At least not for a while. And if it goes stale, just cut it up and make croutons or bread pudding or french toast ...

4. Finally, you CAN make rolls with this recipe too. Just break off golf ball-sized (or a little bit larger) pieces and bake in a muffin tin, or place size by size, almost touching on a cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash ... They are very pretty when you do that! (Save the egg wash in the fridge, add another egg and have scrambled eggs in the morning!)

OK ... Here it is, Just Stan ... :kiss:

Amish White Bread

2 c warm water
2/3 c white sugar
1 1/2 TBLS yeast (yes, I know it's a lot, but it's not a missprint. There's a reason for it.)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c vegetable oil
6 c white flour

Dissolve sugare in warm water. Stir in yeast and let set until foamy (about 10 minutes). Add salt, oil and mix. Then mix in flour, one cup at a time. When all the flour is incorporated, knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes.

Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to make sure top of dough is oiled too. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Punch down, divide and shape into 2 loaves.

Place in oiled pans, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. (This is a good time to preheat oven to 350 degrees F ...)

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Makes 2 9x5 loaves ... or 1 loaf and 9 - 12 rolls, or 19 - 24 rolls or 1 loaf and 3 - 4 hamburger buns ... You get my drift.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to knead the bread for 10 minutes..then said AAAAAAHHHHHH my arms will be worn out.
Then i see the timer thing...OH yes i could use the kitchen aid mixer.DUH!
I tend to mix all my stuff with a fork or by hand. I keep forgetting my wife has cool toys too.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In college I use to make beer bread. Yes made with beer. No yeast needed. Forgot the recipe. That was a long time ago.

I will have to look it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom