Structural engineer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any y’all a structural engineer that’d be interested in crunching some numbers for me. I’ve got a project to do and while I have thought about it and redesigned it a couple times over the last couple years after reading on the google about deflection, loads and such Im pretty sure I’m good to go but not positive. I mean I’m pretty close to stuck with my design since I had a load of steel delivered today but I don’t have the warm and fuzzy confidence yet. If one of y’all considers yourself an eggspert lemme know and we can discuss it here or in pm or on phone if you don’t want to give advice on the www. Here’s kinda what I’m wanting to do: The project will be a pool cover that will also be a deck. It will be approximately an 18 foot by 26 foot deck when the pool is covered. When the pool is open this deck will become 2 decks one at each end of the pool. So each deck will be approximately 13’ by 18’. I’m planning to frame the decks out of 2”x6” 11ga rectangle tubing. The deck will be covered in composite decking. Plan is to frame with 16” centers on joists. My figures are saying total frame weight for each deck will be about 1600 pounds and decking weight per deck will be about 1000 pounds. The original idea was to have several wheels attached under the deck that held the deck up approximately an inch above the concrete. Doing so there would be an 18’ span. Then I came up with an idea to build some “lifting dollies”. I’ve got those figured and I know they’ll work. The major pro to doing it that way is the decks will have much more support when they have ground contact all the way around three sides. Also this will cut the unsupported span down to 14’6”. However when lifted there will only be 4 or 6 points of contact sharing the load. That will only be for a short period of time while rolling the deck one way or the other. Also these will only be moved twice a year and then set back down in their resting place either over the pool or at the end of the pool. How much it weighs to push or pull is of zero concern cuz we have equipment or winches. What you OSA engineers think? Am I crazy? I’ll include a couple pictures of the pool below. You’ll see at each end of the pool there are footings poured for the decks to sit on when the pool is open. There are 2x4’s in the slab running all the way down the footing beside the pool and down the footing at the other end of pool. It’s 18’ between these 2x4’s running parallel. The pool is 25’ lengthwise. The pool belongs to my boss and they have several other structures and such to entertain guests in this area so they are wanting to make use of the pool space when it ain’t swimming weather. Anyhow, anybody got an eggspert opinion. I’m gonna go at it like a biting sow but this could be a train wreck. Hey y’all hold my beer and watch this!
320B3FBA-4D92-4D6C-A687-EA5B9C19EC24.jpeg
C0F31A62-5336-48BC-B2D3-C2CF171A833E.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but looking at your prior work, the design in your head will probably work just fine.
Going to put wipers on the bottom so rodents and such can't take a swim when the cover is over the pool?

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but looking at your prior work, the design in your head will probably work just fine.
Going to put wipers on the bottom so rodents and such can't take a swim when the cover is over the pool?
Well if I build it the way I’m thinking the deck will be sitting right down on the concrete so the only gap to get into the pool will be the 1/16” gap between the deck boards. Buy yes when I was to build it with my original plan of the deck living on wheels I planned to do something to create a barrier between the bottom of the deck frame and top of slab.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if I build it the way I’m thinking the deck will be sitting right down on the concrete so the only gap to get into the pool will be the 1/16” gap between the deck boards. Buy yes when I was to build it with my original plan of the deck living on wheels I planned to do something to create a barrier between the bottom of the deck frame and top of slab.
When we had our pool before I removed it this year, the spring-loaded cover still let some critters in, but it sounds like you have it covered. The wind lifted the cover allowing some leaves to create a gap was the culprit.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to look up 11ga since I rarely use gauge.

.125" (1/8) wall.

Tubing kinda sucks in a moist environment because the inside is almost impossable to get a suitable protective layer of some protectant like paint.

I figure you will screw your deck down.

But what I really dont know is if the screws in the deck will seal, or let the water seep into the tube where it will lay for ?????

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to look up 11ga since I rarely use gauge.

.125" (1/8) wall.

Tubing kinda sucks in a moist environment because the inside is almost impossable to get a suitable protective layer of some protectant like paint.

I figure you will screw your deck down.

But what I really dont know is if the screws in the deck will seal, or let the water seep into the tube where it will lay for ?????
Yes .125 or 1/8th. I plan to not weld the bottom of anything so it can’t hold water. I’m sure some moisture will still lurk. I had this planned for the very reason you mentioned, screwing the deck boards.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prior to construction, you could paint the interior of the tubing for protection from corrosion.

Set up your tubing with one end propped up higher then the other - then pour paint in the tubing and collect it at the bottom.
Repeat for each interior side (top/bottom/left/right)

Or place the tubing level, seal the ends, add a gallon of paint to the interior, and roll the tubing so paint flows onto all interior sides. Unseal ends, collect what comes out, go to next tube.

It may not be 100% coverage, but this would be far better then nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom