Ammunition Shipping Education

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it legal to ship ammo via mail?

The Fex Ex branch told me I had to be a dealer and the UPS branch told me it was illegal. From what I had read on the internet ammo could be shipped but by ground.

Thanks in advance

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both shipped and recieved live ammo via UPS ground. They won't take it at the "UPS retail" strip mall stores, you have to take it to the UPS terminal. It will have to have an ORM-D label affixed to the outside of the box, I typically use ORM-D Consumer commodity blue stickers, that what the CMP uses, but once I had to get the Black and yellow Cartridges, Small Arms, ORM-D labels. But I have never been refused at the UPS terminal locations. CMP uses Fed-Ex ground for their shipments too.

Hope this helps.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is it legal to ship ammo via mail? No, you can't ship ammo by the US Mail. It can't be that big of a deal to get set up to ship ammo by FedEx or UPS. I've had cases shipped to my shop an don't pay a hazmat fee like I would if it was powder or primers, and many of you have had ammo shipped to you by Midway or some of the other retailers. I do know it costs more than just a few bucks to become hazmat certified by UPS so you can ship primers and powder, you'd have to sell a bunch to make it worth while.

edcook

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, loaded ammo is considered an ORMD (other regulated material) just like aerosols and flammable household products. It does not require a haz mat fee. Powder or primers however are considered hazardous and require the extra fee.

The_Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called the UPS package services 800# and they did say that I would have to go down to the UPS Customer Service Center on Portland to do an ORM-D. But it went down hill from there in that either I or the recipient needs to be some sort of dealer. I thought he was blurring mailing ammo with mailing guns but he said it was the same. A gun has to go to an FFL or C&R but I still don't believe that is true for ammo. Lots of confusion. Monday I will call UPS Customer Service on Portland directly and see what they say as the final word.

Thanks for the help

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, loaded ammo is considered an ORMD (other regulated material) just like aerosols and flammable household products. It does not require a haz mat fee. Powder or primers however are considered hazardous and require the extra fee.

dangit.... I think you're right....:pissed: Next time I'm going to have a chat with the UPS person about this before I ship. From what I read, its not uncommon for them to make this mistake. :mad:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the haz-mat one set fee? Or does it go by weight or what?

I have ONE box of ammo I need to ship (20 rounds) and if it's gonna cost more than 10 bucks, I'll just drive it there myself. :ugh2:

NO hazmat fee on loaded ammo, and you don't have to have an FFL to ship.

Greatest challenge is finding an UPS or FEDEX clerk that knows their own company regs.
Have got the Altus UPS folks trained.

Latest posts

Top Bottom