Antler Possession

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once the antlers are removed from the skull plate, they can no longer be entered in the record book. Serious antler collectors, the ones that are willing to pay big money for trophy quality antlers, are not going to pay much for those removed from the skull plate.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is illeagal, and I understand why.... The one thing I've never understood however is, any flea market or antique shop in Oklahoma has antlers or heads for sale by one of the vendors. Why is it not more strongly enforced? If you laid a bag of cocaine on one of the tables...you would be arrested immediately. I understand the difference...just making a point.

Another question I've always had is... I've got dozens of sets of antlers from deer that were killed over the years (as do most lifelong hunters) by my grandfather, father and myself. I've got carcass tags on most of the more recent ones (last 10 years or so) but no way to prove where any of the others ever came from. Where does the law stand on items such as these? Just always been curious.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once the antlers are removed from the skull plate, they can no longer be entered in the record book. Serious antler collectors, the ones that are willing to pay big money for trophy quality antlers, are not going to pay much for those removed from the skull plate.

True, but you can enter it into the books before removing the skull plate. Problem solved
As for not paying much for them, decent money gets paid for replicas so I'm sure the removed skull plate "after" it's been recorded wouldn't be much of a problem.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if their still attached to the skull plate. Along the same lines, it's legal to sell shed antlers as of this year, it's a change highlighted in the regs.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is an auction next weekend in Ellis county where whitetail shoulder mounts and european mounts are to be auctioned off. How exactly is that legal?

www.ogdenrealtyauction.com/

Follow up on this and see if they follow through with it. Chances are flyer was produced and all involved do not know it is illegal. With all the advertising, somebody is likely to pull that plug. However, maybe they have received written permission from the Chief of Law Enforcement for the Wildlife Department.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just don't get why people buy antlers or mounts that they didn't kill, other than restaurants/ clubs that want them for decor. I mean it's just a bone, that falls off every year and is replaced by a new bone... I love antlers and I love big deer that have them but the antler craze has gotten way out of control.... It's a bone people... A damn bone

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only mount I would like to have that I didn't kill myself would be a moose. That's just because there's very little chance I'll ever get a chance to hunt one myself. I've wanted a big Bullwinkle moose mount over the fireplace since I was a child.

Latest posts

Top Bottom