1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Antonito Co to Chama NM train

Discussion in 'Photo Album' started by dennishoddy, Sep 3, 2020.

1. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad trains start out from Chama NM and Antonito Co at about the same time. They meet in Osier Co for a great buffet lunch. (Open to the public for dining after a drive to over 10,000’)
    You have the option of making the entire trip with a bus ride back to the starting point, or boarding the train for a return trip from the original point of departure.
    Small powered trolly cars follow the train at intervals to extinguish any fires that may start from the coal fired locomotive.

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

DRC458, Okie4570 and xseler like this.
  2. xseler

xseler These are not the firearms you're looking for.

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Have they opened up the Chama side, yet? A couple of weeks ago when we were there, they were running from Antonito to Osier, then back to Antonito. Said it was because NM's COVID regs were stricter than CO's ---- and Osier is in CO.

I've rode this train in the past and enjoyed it more than the Durango/Silverton route. The big plus is the 'Thanksgiving' type meal at Osier.

DRC458, Thorgrim and dennishoddy like this.
  3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Nope, the uber liberal Governor has shut down the NM trip. The only train ride now is from Antonito to Osier, turn the train around in the loop and head back.
    We haven't done the train because I've walked most of the Rio Los Pinos that it follows with a fly rod seeing all the views.
    There is some private property on the Rio that one can't access, but that is a pick up point after a day fishing. Drop off one vehicle and travel to the other end with another.

4. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I've done this trip twice with my son, some years back. Fun time....yes the lunch break was excellent.

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We've done the Durango/Silverton train, but haven't got around to doing the Chama/Antonito train. I guess I'll need to wait until they relax the Covid requirements.

dennishoddy likes this.