Any blacksmiths here? Spring steel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paid a fortune to have a broken garage spring replaced today. I held on to it in case someone needed it for knife making.
I have some mower blades for the same reason. I figured mower blades probably had decent steel? Free to any knife maker, or if anyone knows they aren't good, they go to the scrap pile.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a gent in Harrah that teaches for free to anyone on making knifes. I know he could use such steel. I plan on taking him some broken leaf springs.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some mower blades for the same reason. I figured mower blades probably had decent steel? Free to any knife maker, or if anyone knows they aren't good, they go to the scrap pile.
I seriously doubt it. All the mower blades I ever touched were soft plain carbon steel. Really good ones might have some manganese in them, but I don't think they are going to make a decent blade.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it. All the mower blades I ever touched were soft plain carbon steel. Really good ones might have some manganese in them, but I don't think they are going to make a decent blade.
All the ones I ever had were hardened . Couldn't straighten a bent one or drill through it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll put one on the drill press tomorrow and give it the test. I can also pretty much tell hardness by running on a grinder. The sparks are different for a redneck method.
Also how easy it grinds. If it rings like a bell it might be hard. You can definitely tell the difference between hard and soft by whacking it on something like an anvil. You can feel it when you do it, it just doesn't tell you how hard it might be, but heat treated alloy steel sure has a different sound and feel than soft does.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also how easy it grinds. If it rings like a bell it might be hard. You can definitely tell the difference between hard and soft by whacking it on something like an anvil. You can feel it when you do it, it just doesn't tell you how hard it might be, but heat treated alloy steel sure has a different sound and feel than soft does.
I have an anvil and the old redneck test of using a buck knife with a rockwell hardness of 60 to see if it scratches the metal or leaves a mark. That's actually a pretty good test.

Latest posts

Top Bottom